Make a donation

Author Topic: Windscreen  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Windscreen
« on: June 29, 2021, 03:24:59 pm »
What is good product for light scratches on the windscreen

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 08:56:00 pm »
Any one

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 08:58:00 pm »
Autoglym glass polish?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 10:20:48 pm »
Autoglym glass polish?

Going to give this a  go tomorrow  so hopefully will remove the marks which are faint but in the eye line..
Or be a new screen of tps and I think the bracket for the rain sensor is already attached to the screen

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 10:26:15 pm »
You'll need a proper glass polishing kit to shift scratches.  The drill attachment and cutting paste kind of kit. 

What I would say though, if a finger nail digs into a glass scratch, you will never polish it out.  The best you can achieve is polishing out wiping arcs from gritty wiper blades but deep scratches, no chance!

Just throw a rock at it and get Autoglass round  :happy2:   They actually do a good job with the rain sensor, unlike a lot of other cheap glass outfits.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 09:59:36 am »
You'll need a proper glass polishing kit to shift scratches.  The drill attachment and cutting paste kind of kit. 

What I would say though, if a finger nail digs into a glass scratch, you will never polish it out.  The best you can achieve is polishing out wiping arcs from gritty wiper blades but deep scratches, no chance!

Just throw a rock at it and get Autoglass round  :happy2:   They actually do a good job with the rain sensor, unlike a lot of other cheap glass outfits.
Been on to auto glass and asked for a oem screen which I believe comes with the rain sensor already attached but now just waiting for my insurance to approve it

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 08:04:23 pm »
Let us know how that goes.  I've heard the OEM glass from VW is actually quite reasonable, so they might sign it off.  The Autoglass man who did my last one did mention VW screens are stupidly thin, so an OEM one might not fair any better than aftermarket in terms of strength.  The rain sensor thingy things he used on mine have been spot on.  Dunno the make of that or the glass, but it got done in again by a large stone 2 weeks later  :doh:

That'll be screen no.4 then in the 7 years I've owned the car, sigh.  Too many frickin trucks on the roads now throwing crap up.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D