Make a donation

Author Topic: Steve's 3dr Mk5 GTI - SW London  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Enigmatik

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Steve's 3dr Mk5 GTI - SW London
« on: January 05, 2023, 01:42:54 pm »
Hiya all,

Bought my 07 plate Mk5 GTI 3 door about a 2 years ago on 78k miles, almost mechanically stock,  a couple interior upgrades (Mk6 R wheel & highline guages) and fair body condition with just a bit of surface sill rust.

I'm finally getting around to upgrading a few items now that I have some key maintenance out of the way. I'm bloody excited tbh!  :grin:

Upgrades in the past year aside from normal maintenance:
- TTRS clutch upgrade with OE DM flywheel (thanks to the Midland VW wizards)
- Michelin PS4's on 18" Austin reps
- Revo intake
- Gravity 3" sport cat & 3" resonated cat-back
- MTEC dimple grooved discs & Mintex pads all around, with MTEC DOT4 fluid & braided lines
- RCD330 CarPlay/Android Auto head unit

The car is a daily and the goal is to build something Stage 2+ "clubsport spec", while still retaining some day to day comfort. The missus gifted me a set of Racingline springs and dampers for Christmas, but I'm second guessing now and may sell on. Also have some Whiteline goodies sitting for too many months now ready to fit. It'll be doing track day duty a maximum of once a month, probably a lot less. Next steps are likely suspension refresh with coilovers, then the performance bits and a tune. We'll see...

If anyone can advise on reasonably priced fitment centres near SW London it'd be much appreciated  :laugh:

I'll keep this thread updated as I build, definitely welcome any questions or advice :happy2:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 05:24:59 pm by Enigmatik »

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: 3dr Mk5 GTI - SW London
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 04:15:21 pm »
Nice! Don't worry about the dampers too much, coilovers would have been better but anything stiffer and more performance orientated than oem is a positive. A custom alignment will make it quicker more so than a set of coilovers for a grand or so. Adjustable top mounts will get you an ace setup but if those WL ball joints are adjustable then you should still be able to get to or near 2 degrees negative front camber which will be an enormous improvement over front end grip anyway.

TTRS calipers seem to be the ideal BBK without talking about race specific stuff but the r32 calipers can just about handle the job if on a tighter budget, I run the golf R calipers - same principals as the r32 calipers but a little lighter but you sacrifice brake pedal feel for that benefit although a minor difference. You can run the stock calipers on circuit just be aware of them and that you shouldn't stay out for longer than 15 minutes on them really unless you want to risk some fade or boiling your brakes and possibly having to call it an early day at the track. You won't die like some people think :grin:

Didn't know about upgrading the clutch to the TTRS one? Straight swap was it? Cheap/expensive?

Offline Enigmatik

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 04:55:01 pm »
Cheers @Clarkj93 ! Really loving the platform. Come from Ford ST's background and I'm really amazed and loving the refinement a 16 yr old VW can give.

For the dampers situation I have been looking at some from Yellowspeed. For £900 you're getting track tested coilies with camber plates and front drop links included as standard :drool: I've only seen reviews for the guys using them on Mk7's so far, which have been stellar. Thanks for the tips on alignment. I'm actually on the hunt for someone who can do decent geo near London at the minute...

Been looking into the TTRS BBK, might go that route if I can find a deal - people asking kidney money on ebay for a used pair... Also had my eye on a Yellowspeed 6 pot 354mm setup that can be had for about £1600 new.

Didn't know about upgrading the clutch to the TTRS one? Straight swap was it? Cheap/expensive?

It's offered by the guys at Midland VW. I'm only 500 miles into a 1000 mile break in, totally thrilled so far. Absolutely stock pedal feel I was told easily holds 400 lb ft, but still the biggest advantage being it greatly reduces the risk of crank walk that some have had with the SM flywheel clutch kits. At ~£1.5k fitted it's not cheap, but OEM parts + piece of mind... worth every penny  :grin: 

As to parts used, it's OEM DM flywheel, OEM TTRS clutch and I believe they've figured out one of the TDI pressure plates bolts up, but that's their trade secret :wink:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 11:19:50 am by Enigmatik »

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:46:24 pm »
Yeah yellowspeed are good. Area Motorsport use tons of their products on their cars and they're at the top of their game frankly. Not used them myself but can see me getting a set myself when it's time to swap out the b14's.

Yeah a good setup shop is essential really, there should be a few not too far being as Brands Hatch is not a million miles away from you?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 05:09:31 pm »
Fit a bucket seat. I have one and it makes throwing the car around so much easier when your not bracing yourself against the wheel or floor.

You could fit a lightweight battery and remove the spare and jack to save some weight.

Poly bushes will be a worthwhile investment in my opinion, even if you only do the the front.

Keep us posted.

Offline Enigmatik

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 10:44:10 am »
Yeah yellowspeed are good. Area Motorsport use tons of their products on their cars and they're at the top of their game frankly.

Yeah it was Area Motorsport's Mk7 clubsport build that put me onto the Yellowspeed stuff! The B14's were also top of my list until I saw the value of the Yellowspeed DPS's. At the same time as really wanting the YSR's, I'm so torn on whether to just fit the Racingline spring/damper kit I already have as a "stage 1" type thing and go coilovers later... or recoup what I can selling the Racingline kit now as they're still brand spanking new...

You would definitely think there'd be some decent performance centres down south here, and I'm probably being daft, but I'm really struggling to find places that don't either only cater to high end (I was turned away from a couple saying they only do Mk7 or newer) or are unreasonably expensive. I'll find something eventually

Offline Enigmatik

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 11:10:53 am »
Fit a bucket seat. I have one and it makes throwing the car around so much easier when your not bracing yourself against the wheel or floor.

You could fit a lightweight battery and remove the spare and jack to save some weight.

I've done no research at all on lightweight batteries, but good call on the buckets, definitely something I'm wanting in the next few months, but priority in order will be suspension upgrades, BBK and performance (Stage 2+, though feeling the arm being twisted for Stage 3...) first, then look to some track focussed items. The bucket seat setup I've seen mentioned time and again is the Cobra Nogaro's with M2 Motorsport mounts/rails, though I'd love to hear from someone with first hand experience with them. Spotted these ones with the tartan bits which I'd sell an organ for :laugh:

Poly bushes will be a worthwhile investment in my opinion, even if you only do the the front.

I've got my paws on a Whiteline "Essential Vehicle Kit" which includes poly ALK with front arm bushes, trailing arm bushes, steering rack bush & gearbox mount insert. While not totally comprehensive, it seems like a great first step. Also have the Whiteline bump steer correction ball joints on hand for when the car is a bit lower, and a pair of Passat LCA's. All of the above still needs to be fitted.

Last bit of poly stuff I bought in a moment of weakness over a 18 months back and am very hesitant to fit is a full Revo engine mount kit. I've seen a few reviews saying the NVH levels aren't worth it if you're retaining the car as a daily, so they're just sitting for now...

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 02:17:37 pm »
If you didnt know GSM are the go to gurus on anything to do with driver seats in motorsport in England. I spoke to them about the m2 rails and they advised against and said get a suitable subframe and add a runner to it by the likes of someone like Sparco, they said they're okay but they've seen a few bend under not the heaviest driver weight after some time so might not be great if you daily the car or do a fair number of track days per year that generally wears stuff a little more.

Depends if you can budget possibly losing 100 or so quid on them and buying a grands worth of coilovers more or less in addition.

Yeah my preferred shop is a 1.5 hour drive away, you always have to travel a bit to find the good places I've found, I just go to them once a year for a list of jobs that are beyond my ability or don't have to equipment for.

Tyres are super important to everything also. Like a road based tyre like a PS4 means you can get away with softer suspension and smaller brake setup because you're generating less grip so less heat and less wear/friction on all components where as if you run a true semi slick stiffer setup and bigger brakes are needed as you'll generate more grip which means more load transfer, roll and heat.

Offline Enigmatik

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 04:53:12 pm »
If you didnt know GSM are the go to gurus on anything to do with driver seats in motorsport in England. I spoke to them about the m2 rails and they advised against and said get a suitable subframe and add a runner to it by the likes of someone like Sparco, they said they're okay but they've seen a few bend under not the heaviest driver weight after some time so might not be great if you daily the car or do a fair number of track days per year that generally wears stuff a little more.
When you mentioned GSM I thought I'd seen the brand - I'd actually been looking at options on their Sportseats4U website the whole time. Thanks for the heads up on the M2 rails! The Sparco options certainly look a lot sturdier, if not a bit more complex with the frame, side mounts and slider as separate components, but ~100 quid more for peace of mind seems worthwhile.

Depends if you can budget possibly losing 100 or so quid on them and buying a grands worth of coilovers more or less in addition.
Yeah I'm in the hole for ~£720 for the Racingline setup with fresh top mounts, bump stops and dust covers, and also an OE LCA bushing kit I bought to go with it that cost me another £30. I'll try flog the lot for £650, then I'm ok with covering off the difference for the coilovers. The racingline kit is a really solid OEM+ suspension upgrade, tbf.

Tyres are super important to everything also. Like a road based tyre like a PS4 means you can get away with softer suspension and smaller brake setup because you're generating less grip so less heat and less wear/friction on all components where as if you run a true semi slick stiffer setup and bigger brakes are needed as you'll generate more grip which means more load transfer, roll and heat.
Makes sense that. I've only done a single track day with the stock suspension/brakes setup on the Revo Stage 1 tune and the PS4's held up fine for those purposes, but once I've upgraded the rest and am consistently at the track I'll definitely consider a track wheels/slicks setup. Any advice on which slicks work well on the Mk5 platform?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 05:45:33 pm »
Makes sense that. I've only done a single track day with the stock suspension/brakes setup on the Revo Stage 1 tune and the PS4's held up fine for those purposes, but once I've upgraded the rest and am consistently at the track I'll definitely consider a track wheels/slicks setup. Any advice on which slicks work well on the Mk5 platform?

If you only have 1 set of wheels then Nankang NS2R's are reasonably priced and work well on the road (noisy though) as well as being able to cope with track work much better than any road tyre and they're OK in the wet too. They're slower than the the AR-1 which is a true semi slick but they're an all rounder for the same price as ps4's typically so good value in my opinion, they're what I use currently and no complaints.

If you have 2 or even more sets... then AR-1 are very reasonable compared to other brands and just as fast and sometimes faster. Check out this video, good comparison of some of the most popular choices including the two I mentioned

Offline Enigmatik

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 05:23:33 pm »
Brilliant video, thanks @Clarkj93 ! I reckon it'll be a few months before I'm going to be able to warrant a set AR1's with a race wheelset, but looking forward to that day.

Finally got all the parts and fresh bolts come in, will look to trying to fit them over the next few days...

- Passat B6 aluminium LCA's
- Whiteline BCK (bumpsteer balljoints)
- Whiteline Essential Vehicle Kit (ALK with front arm bushes, trailing arm bushes, steering rack bush & gearbox mount insert)
- Fresh OEM bolts for all of the above

Totally torn now whether to fit the new Racingline spring & damper kit I have with all of the above... or have some patience, sell them on and buy the Yellowspeed coilovers that I really want. Decisions decisions...

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: Steve's 3dr Mk5 GTI - SW London
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 05:52:42 pm »
Isn't it nice when all the parts are set there brand new. You almost don't want to fit them. So you could just stick them on ebay for say 3/4 weeks but if they don't sell for the price you want then just keep them.  You may be able to return them if they're still boxed up and it's been less than 2 weeks or so also.if you can justify the additional cost then the coilivers are worth it.

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 06:23:06 pm »
Brilliant video, thanks @Clarkj93 ! I reckon it'll be a few months before I'm going to be able to warrant a set AR1's with a race wheelset, but looking forward to that day.

Finally got all the parts and fresh bolts come in, will look to trying to fit them over the next few days...

- Passat B6 aluminium LCA's
- Whiteline BCK (bumpsteer balljoints)
- Whiteline Essential Vehicle Kit (ALK with front arm bushes, trailing arm bushes, steering rack bush & gearbox mount insert)
- Fresh OEM bolts for all of the above

Totally torn now whether to fit the new Racingline spring & damper kit I have with all of the above... or have some patience, sell them on and buy the Yellowspeed coilovers that I really want. Decisions decisions...

that looks quality, keep us posted on how it goes, I'd like to get the same.