Make a donation

Author Topic: Polybushing the suspension  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Polybushing the suspension
« on: July 15, 2021, 08:04:16 pm »
Going to go down the route of poly bushing my front and rear arms..heard It makes the car handle a lot better

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hq2jqk3jg8aq2brhhunms2h1p4&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Polybushing the suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 08:24:56 pm »
Going to go down the route of poly bushing my front and rear arms..heard It makes the car handle a lot better

Don't bother. It makes it a harder ride, and for the amount you drive it its just not worth the expense in my eyes. Poly bushing the rear is a complete cock of a job too.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 09:28:51 am »
The front of mine is polybushed as are the engine and gearbox mounts.

I find it drives much better, feels really solid.

There is more nvh but I tend to polybush my cars so maybe i'm just used to it.

Not sure if I can be bothered with the rear.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 03:35:32 pm »
Polybrick :happy2:

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 07:37:24 pm »
The front arms of my car are polybushed (Superpro road durometer) with minimal nvh ingress. I think the stiffness of the bushes plays a key role in whether this will be a problem for some or not. As Rich says above, doing the rear is a rather extensive job, which in itself will put many off, plus there is a concern that the boot will amplify any noise arising.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 07:14:26 am »
Mine needed most of its bushes replaced, new to the Mk5 I started looking into a kit from my favourite Superpro, but with their kit being £500 - too expensive.

The alternatives of:
Powerflex - nearly as expensive as superpro, limited choice of shore value, but in the past had bad experiences with early failures + their stuff tends to have some weirdness in how they get assemble on the car -no thanks
Problem Solving Bushes - full kit £140, no shore value choice, but heard good things about them in the past so gave them a go.

Yes agree, rear end with all 14 bushes was a complete cockerel of a job, but I learnt how my rear end fits together, dropping the subframe makes life a lot easier.

Have to say for the price the PSB bushes have been great, only one rear arm was a little odd with retaining the old bush outer case otherwise everything was straight forward push out and replace.
Only change in noise was when I added a Superpro dog bone insert that eventually quietened down and now only rattles on rough road surfaces.

Would I do it again - partially - typically after installing the bushes I found out about full Lemforder rear arm kits on ebay that -considering the time spent swapping out old bushes- are really good value - but I would still polybush the front end.