Make a donation

Author Topic: Symptoms of a bad dogbone?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Berisen

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Symptoms of a bad dogbone?
« on: July 18, 2021, 07:56:33 pm »
I know that this is a mk5 forum but please hear me out  :wink:

So I’ve got a manual S3 8P (same chassi as mk5 and that’s why I’m asking here) with about 70k miles on the clock and recently I’ve started to notice a slight slack/play in the transmission.

When driving in first gear and quickly releasing the clutch will typically produce this “slack feeling” where the whole car feels a bit jumpy and it’s hard to drive smoothly in low speeds without being extremely gentle to the clutch and have perfect timing. You could almost hear like there’s something moving instead of being tight and fit but not sure where to start looking.

Is this a typical rear engine mount (dogbone) symptom? Or should I change the two bushings that goes into the sub frame? I imagine that a torn dogbone should produce this typical behavior but I’m not sure..

Any other thoughts?

Thanks! :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Symptoms of a bad dogbone?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 08:01:08 pm »
Sounds like a engine mounts and as you say probably the dog bone mount as I had the same on my r32 so changed all the top with 034motorsport ones and bottom with vwr racing line and revo pendulum bar

Offline Berisen

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Symptoms of a bad dogbone?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:28:38 pm »
Sounds like a engine mounts and as you say probably the dog bone mount as I had the same on my r32 so changed all the top with 034motorsport ones and bottom with vwr racing line and revo pendulum bar
Sounds good. Just to clarify, is it this mount that you refer to as the pendulum bar?

I’ve read a lot of different names to this bar.. dogbone, rear engine mount etc.