Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Help.  (Read 3509 times)

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
DSG Help.
« on: July 20, 2021, 05:31:43 pm »
Hello,

My 09' MK5 75k GTI has lurching DSG (When the DSG is up to temperature)

Symtoms:

From a standstill when i accelerate the car lurches same with reverse. (like someone with bad clutch control) Sometimes the cars hesitant at down shifting from 3rd to 2nd... other gears all fine when driving. (No fault codes logged)

So after researching the issue most say the mecatronics unit is at fault... Some say clutch packs... and some say perform a DSG oil & filter change first.

So... me being a smartarse thought it was the mecatronics....I decided to take the mecatronics out. Replace bellypan seals, bolts, drain plug oil and filter. Thinking it was definitely the mecatronics.

Sent the unit to ecutesting.com who have told me its fully operational and no faults found.

So now I've emptied DSG oil fully... I understand i fill the oil back up and use VCDS to check oil temp and empty any overfill of oil via drain plug.

Has anyone been in this situation?

I am wondering all along it was old DSG oil?  to low to operate the clutch packs correctly?

I am currently waiting on my mecatronics unit coming back and I am thinking maybe when its back together with new oil etc and filled correct it was sort my issue? or am I now looking at clutch packs?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:57:28 pm by GreigC »

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: DSG Help.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 05:58:52 pm »
Did you scan for any codes?

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:04:54 pm »
Did you scan for any codes?

Yes, no codes.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 06:46:40 pm »
Might of just needed a dsg reset/adaption

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:48:24 pm »
Might of just needed a dsg reset/adaption

Forgot to mention above. I done this already. 👍

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 09:18:57 am »
Did you measure how much oil you drained? What colour was the oil when it came out?

Any evidence of previous dsg oil and filter changes?

I'd stick it back together, following the warming up procedure, and then go for a test drive. At least that would exclude the oil capacity and mechatroinics as being the culprits.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 10:39:31 am »
Did you measure how much oil you drained? What colour was the oil when it came out?

Any evidence of previous dsg oil and filter changes?

I'd stick it back together, following the warming up procedure, and then go for a test drive. At least that would exclude the oil capacity and mechatroinics as being the culprits.

The oil was black no metal flakes or anything unusual. I've put the oil inside a 5 litre oil container. I'll need to look at the quantity. I'll put it back together see how it goes and post updates.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 02:00:18 pm »
My r32 used to go to first like that and after a lot of reading up found the dsg gets its signal to change from the abs also and the valuation tolerance is not alot between each sensor
Wasn't sure if it was true or not but I found one of my rear calipers was siezed so replaced it and the dsg is spot on now

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 07:57:57 pm »
My r32 used to go to first like that and after a lot of reading up found the dsg gets its signal to change from the abs also and the valuation tolerance is not alot between each sensor
Wasn't sure if it was true or not but I found one of my rear calipers was siezed so replaced it and the dsg is spot on now

Hey, cheers for the info 👍 I've had both rear calipers changed for refurbs with disks & pads. The car drives very well from cold... soon as the DSG warms up the issues begin.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 10:47:40 pm »
I have purchased 6 litres of genuine VW DSG oil. Bare in mind I've emptied the full system including what was left in the additional bellypans that seal the mecatronics unit on the side of the gearbox. Im seeing mixed reports on the quantity to refill? Whats the dry capacity of the DSG oil? If anyone knows that would be great.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:49:29 pm by GreigC »

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 03:37:44 am »
Put all of it in and it will drain out the excess on its own when running up to temp.

Hope that helps, obz save the excess......

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 08:59:06 am »
So got the car back together last night. Brand new genuine parts - seals, o-rings, bolts, sump plug, belly pan, 6 litres of DSG oil & filter (Then emptied oil to correct level following temp at 35 degrees and emptied excess via sump) then performed adaptions via VAGCOM.

Whilst slightly better... it still jerks. I can only assume it needs clutch packs.

Anyone changed clutchpack on DSG here? If so... how much inc labour?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:01:11 am by GreigC »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 09:15:29 pm »
It could be the engine.  DSG faults are often misdiagnosed due to engine issues.  Although the gearbox has it's own brain, it does also communicate with the engine's brain. Remember the DSG is just an automated manual gearbox at the end of the day, so in the same way an unhappy engine can cause surging/kangarooing/lurching with manual gearboxes, same applies to DSG.

At only 75K and if it's standard, I highly doubt it's the clutch pack. If it's remapped, that can have a bearing, but even then the clutch clamping force is generally only tightened with high torque/power applications.

I would at least give the engine the once over in the first instance.  All the usual PCV, MAF, boost pipe checks etc etc.  A happy engine usually = a happy gearbox!

Oh, and how many miles have you given the gearbox to adapt post oil/mechatronics change?  VAG engines/boxes can take quite a few miles to 'relearn'.

I seem to remember someone on here years ago having similar issues, and it was caused by a faulty MAF sensor.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:19:12 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 08:13:43 am »
It could be the engine.  DSG faults are often misdiagnosed due to engine issues.  Although the gearbox has it's own brain, it does also communicate with the engine's brain. Remember the DSG is just an automated manual gearbox at the end of the day, so in the same way an unhappy engine can cause surging/kangarooing/lurching with manual gearboxes, same applies to DSG.

At only 75K and if it's standard, I highly doubt it's the clutch pack. If it's remapped, that can have a bearing, but even then the clutch clamping force is generally only tightened with high torque/power applications.

I would at least give the engine the once over in the first instance.  All the usual PCV, MAF, boost pipe checks etc etc.  A happy engine usually = a happy gearbox!

Oh, and how many miles have you given the gearbox to adapt post oil/mechatronics change?  VAG engines/boxes can take quite a few miles to 'relearn'.

I seem to remember someone on here years ago having similar issues, and it was caused by a faulty MAF sensor.

Hey, thanks for that 👍 main reason I'm sure its not the engine is because it runs no issues (from what I can tell)

My car is stock and when driving around 2nd gear + its perfect.

It's hesitant in down shifting from 3rd to 2nd at times. It's almost like its struggling to find the gear. The car lurches forward when you drive away from traffic lights in 1st but soon as it hits 2nd gear no problems.

Sometimes when driving and say I was to come to a stop and select reverse it takes a good second or two to think about the gear change and when it does and I press the acceleration pedal its violently lurches back. Also it has a very hard time reversing up my driveway (which is on an incline)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:20:42 am by GreigC »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 01:46:21 pm »
Is there a lot of movement on the engine mounts