Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Build Code Question  (Read 1807 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
DSG Build Code Question
« on: July 25, 2021, 05:33:35 pm »
Hi folks,
Whats is the reason and relevance for the DSG Gearbox codes? For instance on my ED30 the code is KNB. I see loads of other codes banted around and was wondering what they are for? I assume that the DSG (DQ250) box is the same in all ED30 & MK5 GTi, or is this not the case? Would a box from another car not fit or work in mine unless it had the same code? :thinking: :thinking:

Cheers
Louie

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: DSG Build Code Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:31:00 pm »
The codes generally denote internal differences to the gearing, build year, and other bits and bobs, with the outer casing being the same across the board. 

VW like to mess around with final drive and gear ratios depending on engine torque and rev bands etc, hence the myriad codes.  From my own research when I had to replace my manual box, with high torque engines, they use short ratio gears (bigger, more teeth, and therefore can handle more grunt) with tall final drives, and on less torquey engines, they use tall gears (smaller - fewer teeth) with shorter final drivers.  The net result at the wheels in terms of final gearing is broadly the same, it just depends on the engine type i.e. EA113 MK5 or EA888 MK6.

It's a bloody minefield mate! Best bet is to always match the code like for like if you can, but if not, most of the petrol DQ250s across MK5 and MK6 platform will work fine......GTI/ED30, Scirocco R, MK6 GTI, VRS, Cupra R etc  :happy2:  Just avoid diesel boxes!  The only caveat on the MK6 side is the engine harness might be different.  If you can upgrade to a newer DSG, it's probably a good shout as the MK6 ironed out quite a few of the MK5's bugs.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:33:15 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D