Make a donation

Author Topic: RedRobin's Red Chariot  (Read 2628 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
RedRobin's Red Chariot
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:22:15 am »
Looong time since I have posted here!

But nearly 10 years later my KW suspension (see in Reviews) is progressively corroding and needs replacement. But much as I love the V3 coilovers handling (now over 100k miles on them) my ride is too low to be practical for where I need to go as a wildlife photographer - With only 90mm road clearance I can't park on verges etc and most speed bumps are tricky.

So I am advised that the Bilstein B12 Kit (Eibach springs) would be the ideal substitute - Any thoughts please?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: RedRobin's Red Chariot
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:44:26 pm »
Good to see an old school member back.
you contributed in a good few threads that I had read, OEM aero jumps to mind - thanks for the info!
I have always been pessimistic about underbody bracing - are you still running yours?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 01:23:19 pm »
Another reader of your unibraces reviews. Look good but they still cost a million quid.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 02:24:14 pm »
Good to see an old school member back.
you contributed in a good few threads that I had read, OEM aero jumps to mind - thanks for the info!
I have always been pessimistic about underbody bracing - are you still running yours?

Another reader of your unibraces reviews. Look good but they still cost a million quid.

.... Yes I am still running both unibraces - The bottom one has saved the bottom of my car lots of times by protecting it as I only have 90mm road clearance currently.

But they definitely help keep the car flat and the hatchback box body stiff and she will lift a rear corner in certain circumstances. Absolutely no regrets from me.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Irish_Mk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 11:41:46 pm »
Love the front end of this! Are the bonnet clips functional?

I was originally going to pick up a set of those OZ wheels but went for a hyper gt instead.  Good purchase :)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 01:10:06 am »
good to see you posting on here Robin... :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 08:10:36 am »
Love the front end of this! Are the bonnet clips functional?

I was originally going to pick up a set of those OZ wheels but went for a hyper gt instead.  Good purchase :)

Cheers for the front end love!

The bonnet clips are totally functional and their posts are securely bolted into the body's engine bay frame. However, their finish is false carbonfibre whereas my painted bonnet is real carbonfibre (by OSIR).

It is compulsory on most trackdays to have bonnet clips if you have a carbon bonnet.

You have to open the clips before you release the bonnet lever inside the car.

The story behind them is that I was doing a private track day at Nurburgring including the F1 circuit (fond memories with John Hurdy) and the standard bonnet lock mechanism failed after opening the bonnet in the pits so we closed it and kept it closed until back in England. Apparently the unit is a common failure on the Mk5.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:54:27 am by RedRobin »

Offline CalMac

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2007 MK5 GTI BWA
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 12:42:44 pm »
Hi Robin,

I can’t send PMs yet but wanted to ask you, how has your experience been with the kw v3? I would be wanting to use these for road and would want to retain a somewhat compliant ride. The few opinions I could find on these coilovers have been quite conflicting but I would be very interested in what you have to say since you’ve run them so long!

I’ve found a second hand set, 40k miles for £500 with some spring corrosion which I think is a decent deal. I hope this isn’t hijacking the thread!

Thanks for your alleggeritas review in The past that was really helpful for me! :happy2:

Calum

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 01:11:53 pm »
Hi Robin,

I can’t send PMs yet but wanted to ask you, how has your experience been with the kw v3? I would be wanting to use these for road and would want to retain a somewhat compliant ride. The few opinions I could find on these coilovers have been quite conflicting but I would be very interested in what you have to say since you’ve run them so long!

.... Hi Cal,

I received a PM from you and have just replied to it and hope it helps.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ae5a9j0j7tte57o7266nnp90s8&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 07:23:37 pm »
Hi robin, long time….

I would be looking at a similar option when my PSS10 die. Let us know what you decide to do and how they compare.

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 04:24:47 pm »
Hi all,

I've had a few months now on the B12 Pro Kit so I posted a review in the "mods" section if you'd like my thoughts on it. Overall I'm extremely impressed with it and would be surprised if you could get better for the money for road use. If you're mainly driving on track I would go for something stiffer but the appeal of the kit for me was the ability to deal with the horrendous state of the roads here in Scotland whilst being rewarding to drive a bit harder.

Cheers,

Harry

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 07:32:33 pm »
Loving them fog light grills! found them quite easily but they arn't shipping to the UK, I'm guessing you got them Pre-brexit/covid? Anyone seen them for sale this side of pond?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 03:17:33 pm »
Loving them fog light grills! found them quite easily but they arn't shipping to the UK, I'm guessing you got them Pre-brexit/covid? Anyone seen them for sale this side of pond?

.... I bought them a long time ago. They are OSIR carbonfibre but needed simple cutting modification so my Hella LED DRLs would fit instead of the OEM foglights.

Try the TTshop in Bedford.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 03:25:52 pm »
Hi all,

I've had a few months now on the B12 Pro Kit so I posted a review in the "mods" section if you'd like my thoughts on it. Overall I'm extremely impressed with it and would be surprised if you could get better for the money for road use. If you're mainly driving on track I would go for something stiffer but the appeal of the kit for me was the ability to deal with the horrendous state of the roads here in Scotland whilst being rewarding to drive a bit harder.

Cheers,

Harry

.... Hi Harry, I have read your review and it has got me thinking whether the Sportline will be more suited to my style of driving as I am used to KW V3 coilovers. I'll ask my friends at JKM.