Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf V GTI ed30 vs Leon Cupra 240 chassis  (Read 1107 times)

Offline pyle

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Golf V GTI ed30 vs Leon Cupra 240 chassis
« on: July 30, 2021, 10:44:49 am »
Hello guys,

Lately I've been looking into chassis stiffness and found some details for the Golf mkV chassis.

I've notices the regular MK V has 18400nm and the GTI has 25000nm stiffness.

Where does this difference in chassis stiffness come from? Do all the other performance cousins share the same stiff chassis?

Does this have anything to do with crash test results(Golf 5*, Leon 4*)?

Does the Leon handle as well as the Golf?

Thanks.

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Golf V GTI ed30 vs Leon Cupra 240 chassis
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 01:29:54 pm »

Hello guys,

Lately I've been looking into chassis stiffness and found some details for the Golf mkV chassis.

I've notices the regular MK V has 18400nm and the GTI has 25000nm stiffness.

Where does this difference in chassis stiffness come from? Do all the other performance cousins share the same stiff chassis?

Does this have anything to do with crash test results(Golf 5*, Leon 4*)?

Does the Leon handle as well as the Golf?

Thanks.

I'm sure the extra stiffness comes from additional bracing in the chassis to cope better with the demands of the more sporting editions. Like my car (MK6 Golf) comes with a brace across the tunnel from factory.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/torsional-rigidity-strength-car-list.259539/

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline pyle

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 06:45:42 pm »
Does the LCR share the same stiffened up chassis as the GTI does? I've seen review where it's categorized as having a sloppy chassis. And does the chassis stiffness have anything to do with crash test results?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 08:26:49 pm »
That's impressive.  I didn't know the plain vanilla MK5s were torsionally weaker than the triple choc cooking models.  Interesting, thanks for sharing  :happy2:

What always impressed me was the difference in torsional stiffness between MK4 and MK5.  MK5 is 120% stiffer!  Normally, newer models of the same car are usually only around 15% stiffer, but such a massive difference just goes to show how floppy and soggy the MK4 really was.

Anyway, I would hazard a guess the extra strength comes from thicker and/or more steel plates around the rear subframe floor/strut towers/inner arch structure, as that is generally where you notice it the most on turn-in.  The MK5 Jetta must be even stronger as it has a built-in rear turret brace, aka, steel parcel shelf  :happy2:

The front of the car isn't all that strong where track driven race MK5s are concerned.  Race teams often have to seam weld the chassis rails due to the grip of slick/track tyres and stiff suspension splitting the spot welds apart. That doesn't happen on road cars though.

As far as the MK5 is concerned, the steel plates that bridge the tunnel are there purely to stop the exhaust dragging on the floor if it parts company with the engine, they are not stiffening braces.

Crash testing is more to do with how the car folds up in accident and how that behaviour impacts occupant safety, rather than torsional stiffness.

Are you more interested in crashing or handling?  I'm slightly confused by this topic, as interesing as it is  :grin:

An old trick to determine bodyshell twist under hard cornering is to tie some cotton thread tightly across the strut towers.  Go out and give the car death in the corners.  Upon your return, if the cotton has snapped, there are improvements to be made.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pyle

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 10:42:02 pm »
I mean.... I can't 100% confirm the numbers accuracy mostly because according to the mk4 has the same rigidity as the normal mk5.

Hahah I'm not interested in crashing just wanted to know based on the raw numbers of chassis rigidity if it's the reason the mk5 has a better crash rating than the Leon and does it mean the Leon doesn't share the same strengthening as the GTI does compared to the normal MK5 which also has a 5 star rating.

In general just interested in knowing if the LCR is as rigid as the GTI.

And also if it handles as well as.

Cheers.