Make a donation

Author Topic: A friends R32 calpiper upgrade feels loose...  (Read 986 times)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
A friends R32 calpiper upgrade feels loose...
« on: July 30, 2021, 04:48:11 pm »
So, a friend says he just upgrade his front calipers with R32. It seems to have been done here more often than in my Country, US. He hasn't added the springs or bled it yet,but he is saying as of right now the calipers feel to have some play when just bolted on.

This is all he's said so far; "The caliper wiggles with the pads and guide pins in, idk what is wrong... The retention spring aren't on yet but it just doesn't seem right...with the guide bolts in the caliper, it seems way too loose."

Any experienced this before? He's putting on the springs and bleeding it now, but thought I would ask while he's doing so. I told him I really have no experience with it because I added Porsche 993 calipers more than eleven years ago.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
Re: A friends R32 calpiper upgrade feels loose...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 06:12:09 pm »
Are the carrier bolts tightened

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 06:24:21 pm »
Do you mean the pads move within the caliper? Or that the caliper moves from where it's mounted to the hubs?

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 08:52:14 pm »
Sliding calipers do generally feel loose and sloppy until they've been bled and the pads are pressed up against the disc. i.e. slack taken up.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 11:07:41 pm »
Are the carrier bolts tightened
Yeah, he's saying the bolts are tightened. He mentioned; "...with the guide bolts in, the caliper seems way too loose."

Do you mean the pads move within the caliper? Or that the caliper moves from where it's mounted to the hubs?
I had to ask the same..."where is it loose?" He is saying it is loose at the bolts...and asked me if I thought it needed a caliper stiffening kit by Tyrol. That's when I said many seemed to do the R32 upgrade years ago, and I never heard of the need for a stiffening kit. I told him I recall more doing the R32 conversion on the UK forum and that I would ask for him.

Sliding calipers do generally feel loose and sloppy until they've been bled and the pads are pressed up against the disc. i.e. slack taken up.
OK...good to know. He hasn't responded since messaging me; "gonna put the clip on and bleed it just to see." Because I said it couldn't hurt to put it all together and ready to go...then see if it feels the same.

I'll see where he is with it and let you all know if it turned out OK or if we can still help...and thank you all for checking in.  :drinking:
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 01:34:40 am »
Apparently he just finished up...adding retention clips and bleeding them tightened it all up and he says they feel great...much better. I'm thinking he panicked a bit...and I had no clue having never dealt with the OE brakes. Other than to replace mine eleven years ago with these;

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 05:43:15 am »
Apparently he just finished up...adding retention clips and bleeding them tightened it all up and he says they feel great...much better. I'm thinking he panicked a bit...and I had no clue having never dealt with the OE brakes. Other than to replace mine eleven years ago with these;

Better to panick and be safe than oblivious and in an accident later.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 04:46:12 pm »
Exactly...right?