Make a donation

Author Topic: Random / Intermittent Warning Lights / Central Locking Problems??  (Read 607 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Can anyone help on these issues, please.......

Occasionally I get the yellow EPC light come on. Usually, but not always, it's followed by the warning light below lighting up (the yellow Engine Malfunction one), and the car goes into limp. It always clears itself within a few days. I can't  point to anything that triggers it, or that clears it - it's just random.

More recently, the driver's door sometimes does not unlock first time. Also, recently the boot has occaisionally not unlocked first time. Then this week, the driver's side rear door would not lock. I really can't see that all three locks would be faulty, so I am puzzled, and wondering if it could be some weird electrical glitch, that may aslo be causing the seemingly unrelated warning light issues.  The rear door is now locking again, and it was a hot day, when it wouldn't lock

The car gets very little use, it's an 05 GTI on 47,000 and often goes several weeks without being used. I always use the high octane fuel.

Any thoughts very welcome, thanks.....

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Random / Intermittent Warning Lights / Central Locking Problems??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 06:26:47 pm »
Buy a scan tool. Vcds or similar is a god sent. Will save you hundreds in the long run and save time in scratching your head.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 09:46:01 pm »
Due to its lack of use I'd get the battery checked out first.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 04:01:42 pm »
Thanks for the posts... Battery was replaced last year. How much would  VCDS kit cost?
Cheers

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 05:10:11 pm »
You can get a cheap cable from ebay to read the fault codes. Or Google a vag code reader