Make a donation

Author Topic: The beginning of the end of my turbo?  (Read 674 times)

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
The beginning of the end of my turbo?
« on: August 02, 2021, 04:37:08 pm »
Folks,

Whilst browsing OBD-eleven to check intake temps recently I realised an engine code had been flagged. To my horror it's a P0299/underboost code which I'm reliably informed is almost always a failing wastegate. What's strange is that the car still pulls well, seems to be making full power and I've never caught the actual boost not meeting requested during logging. The code was only triggered once and it was during a spirited drive over the mountains - is it wishful thinking that lower barometric pressure could be the culprit or does the mapping compensate for this by requesting x.xx bar + absolute pressure instead of an absolute number?

I'll get underneath it soon and check the wastegate arm/connection for play and double check for boost leaks but open to suggestions if anyone else has experienced something similar. Also, I don't know whether it's related or not but I recently installed a MK6R intercooler and DV+ and haven't had any other symptoms of power loss and there's no evidence of air escaping from any connections etc.

Offline Raj2212

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 75
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115142.0.html
Re: The beginning of the end of my turbo?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 01:32:40 pm »
Chuck the old dv back in. Your gfb dv may be faulty.
And check your intercooler boost hoses, throttle body pipe.

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
Re: The beginning of the end of my turbo?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 01:39:15 pm »
Thanks. I hope it isn't, I had the first one replaced under warranty because it was sticking with score marks on the piston. This one has barely been in for 500 miles and was assembled with plenty of oil. Will give it a try anyway to rule it out. Will double check charge pipes again but everything went on tight and there's no tell-tale whistle of air escaping or oily residue.