Make a donation

Author Topic: Higher profile tyre size options for 2012 GTI  (Read 1388 times)

Offline vonmarshall

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Higher profile tyre size options for 2012 GTI
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:08:02 pm »
Hi all have just got a 2012 GTI in awesome condition and very excited. Have had quite a few GTI's in my time but have been off-brand for a while and pleased to be back.

My one dislike of all modern cars is low profile tyres. I live in a B road nirvanha but there are lots of potholes and I have found with every car I have owned before that smaller wheels and thicker rubber makes the driving experience all the more enjoyable.

I love BBS wheels and will probably go with that brand, but curious to know what people would suggest as a good wheel / tyre combo if you want some wall on your rubber.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Higher profile tyre size options for 2012 GTI
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 11:01:26 am »
The only way to achieve that without making the gearing taller and also increasing rolling weight, is to fit smaller wheels.

225/45/17 or 205/55/16

The trade offs of taller profile rubber are worse handling, and less choice of top end sports tyres. Most are 18" and above now.

Or you can stay with 22/40/18 but do some research into tyre brands that ride well.  I found ContiSports or Conti Premium Contact rode noticeably better compared to the usual suspect Sports tyres I.e. Bridgestone Potenza, Eagle F1s, PilotSports, Pirelli P Zero et al.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D