Make a donation

Author Topic: Hunting rattles  (Read 865 times)

Offline paul71

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Hunting rattles
« on: August 29, 2021, 10:10:19 am »
Hi all, there is an annoying rattle coming from rear seat direction which I just cannot trace. Thought it was the child seat but removed and still there. Anyone had any luck or got some tips of likely suspects? Armrest? The rear seats are all locked in place and also everything including spare wheel etc seems secure in the boot. One thought is that the car has no boot carpet and it’s been replaced by a plastic load liner - I guess the carpet would have some offer some kind of sound insulation? I also see that the spare wheel itself is uncarpeted. Should it have been? Had mk5s before but cannot remember what it looked like under there? It’s a 2008 car so maybe cost cutting removed the carpet in the later cars? any help much appreciated?
Metallic Black 5dr Pirelli Edition 58

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=efg0su4gbafn6dldvh0tm026i3&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Hunting rattles
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 11:37:41 am »
Try making sure the back seats are properly fixed first, they will rattle and squeek otherwise. Give them a really good tug to get a secure fit but not hard enough to start braking bits. I had a rattle for a few weeks and annoyingly it was just me not putting them back into place properly!

Offline paul71

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 12:56:12 pm »
Thanks I will give them a good look at . It can only really be them . Maybe lube the catches too

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 01:39:48 pm »
Try driving it with the seats down and see if the noise is still there.  If it is, it might not be the back rests rubbing on something.

Nope, VW rather generously didn't bother with sound insulation on the boot floor.  It's just the flimsy little semi-rigid mat.  I lined my boot floor with self adhesive acoustic pads but it didn't achieve a lot.  They're just noisy cars in general by todays standards.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline paul71

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 10:22:13 pm »
Cheers for confirming no carpet in wheel well. Going to try and source a secondhand boot carpet anyway. Will give car a try tomorrow with the seats folded and see if that solves it. Thanks again everyone