Make a donation

Author Topic: This sound familiar to anyone? MkV Golf GTI 2005 (engine?) noise  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Wrightly

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: This sound familiar to anyone? MkV Golf GTI 2005 (engine?) noise
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 10:18:43 pm »
Sounds like the alternator pulley is on it's way out or seized. I had exactly the same sound in mine until it was changed.

Offline Fallout-NL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 01:09:06 pm »
Alright boys 'n girls, I have since visited the mechanic and the verdict is that the dual mass flywheel is the most likely culprit.

He'll spend a bit more time diagnosing to make sure, but it seems fairly obvious.

Sounds like the alternator pulley is on it's way out or seized. I had exactly the same sound in mine until it was changed.

Yeah I thought of something like that as well. Would have been nice, probably a bit cheaper to get to than clutch and flywheel.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:10:42 pm by Fallout-NL »

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 05:43:22 pm »
That's good news - it should be a straight forward fix...
But not cheap, you may as well replace clutch assembly at the same time and possibly the rear engine crank seal

Offline Fallout-NL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 10:23:19 am »
Yep, that's the plan. Luk has a full kit available that includes the flywheel, clutch and cylinder. Including labor it'll be about 1200 euro or so before everything's installed, but since those are wear items anyway (and they will improve the ride), the cost is a bit easier to swallow.

Not that comparing UK and Holland car prices is useful at all, but here's what I spent on the car since buying it this spring:

9250 for the car itself (05 car with 80k miles on the odo)
1900 for a major service directly after purchase (this included new brake calipers for the rear, new lock on the driver side door, new battery)
800 for a new throttle body (the car lost steam past 4k rpm, this fixed the issue)
1900 for a new clutch/flywheel assembly + repainting of the rear lid (rust around the vw badge) and rust prevention on the forward part of the door sills

Which comes to about 14k total. Part of me wonders whether I should have gone for a younger MkVII instead, but I think the V is a much prettier car, so...

I do hope this is it for the foreseeable future though lol.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 03:47:29 pm »
My first thought was the right thought then  :grin:

Get the S3 Dual Mass as it's different to the GTI one somehow.  Not entirely sure what is different, but it fits the GTI.  Possibly stronger springs etc.

You could have gone for a MK7 but they are boring to drive compared to a MK5.  I think I would go for a DSG MK6 R if I were to buy a hot Golf again. The MK6 has none of the build quality issues that afflicted the MK5, but drives the same  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 05:42:09 pm »
At least rust isn't as big a problem as it is in the UK - Slightest hint of frost and we get experimental amounts of salt dumped on our roads.
Seen a few older Mk2's imported from NL because of being relatively rust free or not available in UK - 2 door Jetta's & syncro models

Offline Fallout-NL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 09:03:46 am »
My first thought was the right thought then  :grin:

Indeed, bonus points to you!

Get the S3 Dual Mass as it's different to the GTI one somehow.  Not entirely sure what is different, but it fits the GTI.  Possibly stronger springs etc.

You could have gone for a MK7 but they are boring to drive compared to a MK5.  I think I would go for a DSG MK6 R if I were to buy a hot Golf again. The MK6 has none of the build quality issues that afflicted the MK5, but drives the same  :happy2:

Isn't the chain a bit iffy on MkVI's? With the 'advantage' of a V that at least it's relatively easy to change out the belt when it's due? Or is all that overblown?

Good to hear that the 7 is not as engaging a drive as the V, that justifies my expenditures a bit, haha.

At least rust isn't as big a problem as it is in the UK - Slightest hint of frost and we get experimental amounts of salt dumped on our roads.
Seen a few older Mk2's imported from NL because of being relatively rust free or not available in UK - 2 door Jetta's & syncro models

Sadly, they are a bit trigger happy on the salt here as well :( though perhaps not as bad as in the UK. Still, I'm not sure what else they could do. Heated roads would be nice, hehe.