Make a donation

Author Topic: Shadow Blue MK5 GTI DSG - Premature Midlife Crisis  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 589
Re: Shadow Blue MK5 GTI DSG - Premature Midlife Crisis
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 12:42:38 pm »
Great job, especially with just T-cut and a tin of elbow grease  :happy2:  Need to do mine as well at some point.  Summer job I think!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140

Offline jorjmkv

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 07:07:05 pm »
Well, its been a while! Work got busy, baby got more baby-like and Christmas hit hard. Ive done very few modifications in total to the car so far, but its also due a few parts very, very soon!

So to date we have:

RamAir Oversized Intake

PCV Delete

CV Boot failure fixed

Replaced Cam Follower

Personal Reg Added

Double Din Headunit w/Apple Car Play from AliExpress - £150 and comes with all the toys!

New Chrome interior switches

Dynamic Indicators

Carbon wrapped some interior pieces

Front Grill Refresh - Noticed this was very grey and the red trim was very pink, so decided to get the PlastiKote out

New cut out foglight surrounds

Funnily enough I did not realise the MOT was due 11th Jan and there are a number of items I need to get sorted, so this has been a bit of a shocker to the system right after Christmas!

- Replacement rear offside caliper
- Rear Discs & Pads
- Replacement Rear Trailing Arms
- Full Service

After the MOT hopefully goes through without a hitch, I do have a list of items to fit to the car which im super excited about, more so because it will refresh the car a little:

- New near-side wing
- New wing mirror covers
- GFB DV+
- Removing all wheels and cleaning/undersealing
- Paint Calipers
- DSG Service
- Timing Belt & Water Pump
- Boost and Oil Temp Gauges w/ New South Gauge Pod

Beyond this, money-dependent, I want to get a full exhaust system and map to bring out the best in the car. It may take some time and I do want to DIY as much as possible, so we shall see :)
Looking very nice! what’s this plastikote you’re on about? Is there any prep involved? Also would you recommend? Getting bored of forever trying to keep the plastic grills looking fresh

Offline RayRoocroft55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 05:05:07 pm »
Looking very nice! what’s this plastikote you’re on about? Is there any prep involved? Also would you recommend? Getting bored of forever trying to keep the plastic grills looking fresh

Plastikote is basically a spray thats more like rubber. you can prep surfaces with a plastikote primer if it needs it for bonding such as glossy surfaces, but for the plastic grilles that have quite an etched surface I just sprayed 3 coats on and it bonded perfectly. I left it at least 8 hours between coats so it was fully dry (I believe it says dry in 2-4hrs) but just wanted to make sure it bonded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, yesterday was supposed to be rear trailing arms, a new caliper, new rear discs and pads, a service, and multiple mods, but oh BOY did the car fight!

it's apparent that the car has been parked over a wet surface such as grass that has corroded the rear far more than the front of the underside of the car. Ive seen this before on a fiesta I owned where the owners parked on grass and with the underneath in constant contact it had corroded significantly.

so, first things first, I added new LED sidelights from eBay yesterday. today, I turned up at my cousin's house on the drive and noticed smoke coming from the front of the car!! opening the bonnet, smoke poured from the front right light and noticed it was the sidelight bulb!

Thankfully we caught it in time - i can't imagine an electrical fire would be the best thing to have on a car!

So we cracked on, removing the rear caliper first and the pads basically disintegrated away when we removed the assembly. the caliper was definitely binding, to the point the disc had turned blue.

Unfortunately just after this we tried applying the brake pipe to the new caliper and realised the threading in the new caliper was completely cross threaded and unusable! At this point I was ready to have a small panic as the caliper was £125, with no access to another, and with a completely borked old caliper 50 miles away from home.

Many hours later and by torchlight, we managed to fabricate our own brake pipe and clear the old caliper of rust and other build up, temporarily at least freeing up the caliper!

This process took around 3-4 hours, so by this time we are talking around 5pm and the car had been fighting the entire time - bolts seized, things not coming apart that should, etc. We had to now change the rear trailing arms and oh boy - 3 hours later we had them changed, but again not without the wind, rain, hail and the car all against us! They DEFINITELY needed doing though - here is one example of the absolutely shredded bush I had:

Thanks to the top work of my cousin, 12.40pm turned into 8.20pm but more importantly the rear brake and 2 trailing arms that were definitely going to fail the MOT were changed. We didnt get around to all the mods I brought with me (DV+, Cat back exhaust, anti lift kit being a few) but most important things were done.

Offline RayRoocroft55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2022, 02:10:35 pm »
R8 coil packs arrived  :party:

I attempted to fit my new cat back exhaust to my car - unfortunately i never realised just how much my driveway has an arch, therefore the clearance when jacking up the car in the centre is minimal :( looks like ill have to wait!

I am on with wrapping interior parts with cf gloss wrap. Originally had them matte but they blended in too well.... if thats possible. Wanted something that popped a little more in the interior. Tricky business and time consuming but I think the end product (along with a few other goodies) will set off the aged interior well.

Offline mjmallia

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 04:00:40 pm »
Getting heat into the wrap is the secret.

I gloss blacked mine with a red pin stripe to carry the GTI theme.....as well as the grab handles

Mike

S3 8L ---- Lupo GTI ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline RayRoocroft55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 04:14:26 pm »
Getting heat into the wrap is the secret.

I gloss blacked mine with a red pin stripe to carry the GTI theme.....as well as the grab handles

That looks fantastic buddy, did you do that yourself? It takes a lot of patience thats for sure! Although the finish on mine isn't going to be perfect, i'm glad i've given this a go myself.

Now to figure out how the hell to get the dsg surround out!  :grin:

Offline mjmallia

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 09:08:17 am »
Yes did it myself......time, patience and a decent hairdryer (don't tell the wife)

Once you get it evenly hot, it will stretch nicely.
Mike

S3 8L ---- Lupo GTI ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline RayRoocroft55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2022, 11:39:27 pm »
Yes did it myself......time, patience and a decent hairdryer (don't tell the wife)

Once you get it evenly hot, it will stretch nicely.

Well, the finish (although not perfect) was actually much better with a hairdryer than without :grin:

Next i think i need to figure out a black interior haha

Offline RayRoocroft55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2022, 11:43:31 pm »
Today I decided to fit the cat back exhaust prior to the MOT due tomorrow morning. Although the fitment wasn't perfect (We have blowing from several clamps - sigh), it actually sounds pretty darn good.

I dont have any after pictures right now, purely because everything was purely for testing after fitment and ive got to have the garage sort the alignment, but here are some in-progress pics: