Make a donation

Author Topic: Fuel filter bracket part number?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline owheel

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Fuel filter bracket part number?
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:31:00 pm »
Took my car in for a service and the mechanic told me that he couldn't replace the fuel filter because the clip on the fuel line had been broken previously.

I had a look and I've got the new fuel line on order from VW, so that's all good.

The issue is, the absolute plum who clearly messed the fuel line up, also decided to take a grinder to the fuel filter bracket rather than undoing it!

I spoke to VW parts and they were struggling to find the number for the bracket. Does anyone have any clue? Or if anyone is going to change their filter, can they try and look for the part number on the bracket? Cheers in advance!

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Fuel filter bracket part number?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:34:55 pm »
It is part of the fuel tank - whoever was in there replacing the filter really F'ed it up.

The issue is the screw they provide with the filter is mild steel cross head - it just corrodes, I had to drill the head off mine and remove the thread of the screw with vice drips

The 2 options I can think of are:
Cable ties from the fuel pump opening down to the filter
or
Used fuel tank with a good bracket

Offline owheel

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 07:17:15 am »
Right well I'm not replacing the tank just for that bracket. Looks like it's cable ties it is!

Cheers for the info, I'll let the VW tech know so he can stop looking for a non existent part.

Man I bought this car with a full service history! Clearly been serviced by an absolute moron...

Thanks again for the help

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 671
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 12:06:23 pm »
At least they changed it  :grin:  Many people don't as it's not on the service schedule.

Good shout from LC5F.  I would smooth off the busted area on the tank and stick a couple of cable tie brackets to it with some urethane glue, aka, windscreen adhesive.

As tempting as it is to leave it dangling there like a sweaty pair of balls, but with all the movement and vibration back there, eventually the fuel lines will break.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline owheel

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 01:53:32 pm »
Cheers pudding, I'll sort out some kind of bracket to zip tie it to.

Also shout out Berkshire Garage/TEC who found the issue. They are super straight forward guys, reasonable prices, and they always have interesting project cars going on around the garage!

Online GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 08:19:03 pm »
At least they changed it  :grin:  Many people don't as it's not on the service schedule.

Mine was changed last service - was the original with 2007 date stamp!! :rolleye:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:21:11 pm by GVK »

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 09:13:05 pm »
the filter has a locating pin to fix it in the the correct orientation - what is the reason for this orientation?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 11:33:04 am »

Mine was changed last service - was the original with 2007 date stamp!! :rolleye:

Yeesh, that's the car equivalent of wearing the same face mask for 14 years, gross  :grin: 

I do mine biannually, which also helps prevent said worm screw from seizing up.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 11:38:46 am »
the filter has a locating pin to fix it in the the correct orientation - what is the reason for this orientation?

The over-thinking side of my brain says, air purging reasons?  But my basic brain says, fuel line alignment? 

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 01:15:21 pm »
Agree - the fuel pipes are pretty rigid, they always try to go where they want.

Only concern with gluing onto the tank is whatever gets used has to flex with the tank - anything rigid will just eventually fall off.

My old Mk3 16v had been in a bump with a PO and had been bodged back together. Rear beam drivers side had been bent and the tyre pushed onto tank - some one had driven it and it rubbed through the side of the tank. The bodged repair was fibre fill body filler - this just detached and dropped off in one lump!