Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice - returning to stock vs not before sale  (Read 2202 times)

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Advice - returning to stock vs not before sale
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 09:21:09 am »
Wonder what mines worth.

57 plate 5door in black with 81k. Lowered on h&r with a k&n filter.

No rust on good condition.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 09:28:23 am »
I think the mods are decent would interest me more than put me off.

I bought mine with a miltek cat back, r32 rear lights and better clocks.

When someone comes for a test drive you could always offer to include the standard airbox in case the ramair isn't for them.

Yes, it needs paint but I'd rather have a mechanically sound car needing paint than one where the current owner "lost the history in a house move" with mint paint work.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 11:42:08 am »
If you're not in a rush, you could try it up for £5K with a view of accepting 4?

As for the rust, don't get gunned down on price too much for that.  It's really minor. Nothing more than a sand back and repaint in those areas. A lot of mobile detailers have those fine mist modelling spray guns these days and could easily sort that.

Otherwise it's a new tailgate, door skin and wings to be really thorough about it, but not even I would bother doing that pre-sale tbh, and actually, I reckon fresh panels against paint work that old and weathered would stand out more than patch ups.

Good luck.  A Golf R estate isn't a bad upgrade  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Fallout-NL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 02:56:18 pm »
Hi All,
I’m after some advice please about whether to return my mk5 gti to stock, or closer to, before selling it privately and/or trading in.

It’s the usual storey of new baby arrival means I need a more practical car. I was hoping to keep the gti forever but due to COVID contract changes, my partner has had her company car taken away and I work from home so don’t need a car to commute. (Bloody COVID). So genuine reason for sale in summary as I need to sell to free up some cash as a deposit.

Interesting, I sold my 986 Boxster for that almost the same reason and got a GTI. It's practical enough right? Holds my two kids and cargo well enough anyway.

With regards to your question: selling the upgrades separately and the car as original will always, always net you more cash. Possibly even way more. It's a bit more work though.