Make a donation

Author Topic: Got vcds today checking for faults  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
Got vcds today checking for faults
« on: September 15, 2021, 03:35:26 pm »
Got a copy of vcds today and thought I’d give the car a scan was kind of surprised that there wasn’t any real faults , what I got was just for the radio and nav I guess that’s because the car has an aftermarket head unit.

I thought I’d check the flash count to see if the cars been mapped and it’s at zero.

Strangely though the auto trans says flash count two not sure if this is a main dealers flash or not

Finally check the chain timing and all looks good to me.

I was kind of hoping to find a fault as the cars developed a slight random hic up when flooring it off a roundabout in a low gear or when giving it some beans from a junction , it’s completely random when it happens and I can’t recreate it myself at all it just does it randomly every now and then.
Anyways I’ll be doing some logging at some point to see if that throws up anything that could be a issue

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Got vcds today checking for faults
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 05:30:43 pm »
remove the old radio from the can gateway list and the fault codes should go, the car still thinks its installed!

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 05:54:38 pm »
@FJB im new to all this and have no clue how to do that bud I’ll do some googling.

Edit: Looks pretty easy think I just go into can gateway installation list and untick radio and nav then click save I’ll give it a try and report back
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:06:15 pm by Jb55 »

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 06:27:17 pm »
Yes just untick it, you can get all the info at www.ross-tech.com

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 07:59:56 pm »
@FJB unchecked radio and nav and it only removed one of the codes, the can gateway fault for navigation changed from control module no signal/communication to control module incorrectly coded. The radio says no response from controller as it did before.

I’m not to fussed about these faults anyway as everything works with the current head unit.

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 04:01:20 am »
I believe the fault you have now that you have an aftermarket radio that is plugged in to the can circuit and the car can see it but it is not coded, and it looks like it cannot be coded as you cant get into module 56. As long as it is working then ignore the code.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 01:50:51 pm »
If everything else on the car works as it should, I would ignore the CAN error.  I'm sure there's a way to shift that error but I don't mess with that stuff, so can't advise  :grin:

Healthy looking chain measuring blocks  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 04:38:01 pm »
@Pudding yeh I’ll just leave it everything’s working as it should , pretty happy with the chain to least don’t have to worry about that for a while . What do you think of the flash count for the dsg ? Maybe it’s a had a different box put on it at some point , the dsg gear changes are nice and smooth and changes gear at the correct rpm so definitely not a tuned/mapped box.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 05:28:56 pm »
Your chain measurements are exactly the same as mine, and I just replaced it all 3 weeks ago (oem parts)  :happy2:

Can't answer your DSG question I'm afraid, but if it auto-upshifts in manual mode, it's highly likely standard.  Holding the revs in manual mode is one of the things they change with an aftermarket map.  Maybe the flash count is just dealer updates?

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 07:26:06 pm »
Save me starting another thread, how do you activate VCDS-Mobile, what interface do you use?  I've got the app.

Have watched this now, looks like you cant get the wireless internet dongle on it's own? I'll stick to OBDeleven on the phone I think as I have a 3 vin VCDS anyway.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:51:20 pm by GVK »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 07:51:44 pm »
Save me starting another thread, how do you activate VCDS-Mobile, what interface do you use?  I've got the app.

You need the Hex-NET interface for VCDS mobile.  It's crap though.  I only use it for a quick check on common measuring blocks.  Something like OBD11 is way better on a phone.  Ross-tech are bloody slow to keep up with the competition, but no other tool is as comprehensive as theirs, especially with VAG specific PIDS, which most other tools can't read.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 10:36:14 pm »
Ta Kev  :congrats: