Make a donation

Author Topic: Low(ish) Compression Test Results?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Doktorslowburn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Low(ish) Compression Test Results?
« on: September 19, 2021, 02:11:35 am »
Hey all,

I ran a compression test in my mk5 GTI (FSI) today as part of some troubleshooting I’ve been doing to track down an issue.
I got 125 across the board on all 4 cylinders. I did do some searching, and it seems that based on what other mk5 owners have posted, this seems a little low.

I only performed a dry test. The engine was warm, but could have been warmer. It had been sitting for the sum of maybe an hour between when I shut the car off to when I actually performed the test. I was testing with WOT and had the fuel pump fuse pulled out. On each cylinder, I cranked it about 12 times. I’ve read in some places it’s supposed to be 4, and in others that you’re supposed to crank it until the needle stops advancing. I didn’t have a helper, so I couldn’t keep an eye on it while I was cranking the engine.

Is it possible the tool I have is just a piece of junk, and reading lower than it should be? And if that’s the case, should I re-test with a different tool, or is the fact that they’re even across all cylinders enough?

The car only has 93k miles on it, so I wouldn’t expect to see that much wear. Any tips are appreciated!