Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 French Black Magic GTI  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MK5 French Black Magic GTI
« on: September 22, 2021, 09:19:51 pm »
Hello Golfers,

I'm Teddy. I am 31 years old and I am a trainee accountant. I am french, so i am sorry for my poor english  :signLOL:
I have been reading you in submarine for several years and I have now taken the plunge following the acquisition of my beautiful in early February.
After much research on my vehicle, the choice was not easy. My original idea was a Peugeot 207 RC. However, no longer wanting a car with a manual gearbox, the choice naturally fell towards the G5 GTI which had the DSG as an option.
The wait was long because I had some criteria concerning the options, namely:
-black magic color,
-BWA engine
-Bi-xenon
-DSG gearbox,
-Sunroof,
-Beige leather
-GPS
-MFA+
-Heated and electric seats
-Maintenance book

Unfortunately, some opportunities have been missed due to lack of budget and I wanted to prioritize my rental investment.
Once the budget in hand, there were four cars that had more or less have the criteria chosen with a few exceptions. Three black vehicles with beige leather and a Pirelli Edition with already 179,000 km on mileage.
I had to make a choice because not all cars had the list of options I wanted so I had to choose the one that had the most and had the lowest mileage. Compromises had to be made.

My choice fell on a 01/2006 G5 GTI with AXX engine. It had 135,000 kms to purchase. She has 146,400 today.
It is a Greek vehicle having spent most of its life in Greece and then imported to Luxembourg. The vehicle was bought from a garage in eastern France, which itself had bought it from a Luxembourg garage.
Despite its origins and wanting to be clear, I requested a history from VW France and everything turned out to be in order and in accordance with the maintenance book. The vehicle has been serviced in concession from the purchase in Greece until its last ride in Luxembourg.
Regarding the vehicle itself, it has the following characteristics:
-AXX engine
-Denver 17" rims
-5 doors
-DSG gearbox
-Bi-xenon
-Sunroof
-Beige leather
-Electric lumbar adjustment
-Heated seats
-rear parking sensors
-Alarm
-Small ODB
-No GPS, Kenwood unit installed by the previous owner probably
-Heated mirrors

The vehicle will have few modifications.

Upcoming maintenance to correct known issues with TFSI.
-Replacement of the soundproofing of the engine cover
-Change of the windshield washer pump
-Replacement of the DV by an Audi TTS model
-Replacement of Cam follower
-Replacement of the PCV valve
-Replacement of AAC chain tensioner.
-Replacement of the thermostat unit
-Replacement of spark plugs
-Replacement of the air filter
-Manual descaling of pipes and valves.
-Replacement of injector seals
-Replacement of a brake hose
-Modification of the oil pump,
-Oil filter,
-Oil change Castrol 5W40
-Oil filter
-Front and rear Wheel bearings
-R8 ignition coils + Harness cover
- Engine cover cylinder

Mechanical and electronic modifications:
-Replacement of the rear exhaust
-New DSG software
-R32 Brakes

esthetic modifications:
-Replacement of the grille
-GTI front / rear plate holder
-R32/ ED30 rear lights
-Detailing of the interior
-Cleaning of the compartment Motor

Retrofit to come:
-Cruise control,
-MFA+, 
-Color MFA coming soon
-Electric folding mirrors,
-Motors / door modules,
-Passat CC CECM 3C8 ... AC, 30 bytes
-Convenience module 19 bytes
-Gateway 5F,
- MFSW MK6 GTI/R
-Discover Media PQ,
-Rear  view camera ,
-OPS 8K module ,
-Climatronic G6 ,
-Kit Dynaudio G6, (already in my possession but not fitted, the wiring harness is missing)
-Full electric driver's seat,
-Automatic opening of the trunk

A few pics taken quickly when purchasing the car.

Picking the car

After cleaning the car

The stock steering wheel which will be replaced by a MK6 one

Kenwood unit fitted by the previous owner and will replace by DM PQ,

The hood insulation pad was in very bag shape. I put a new one

Others pics will come very soon

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 09:56:06 pm by Murderous972 »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
Re: MK5 French Black Magic GTI
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:43:53 pm »
Bonjour! and welcome.

That's a great looking car, really nice with the beige leather and sunroof. Looks like you have big plans for it, will be interesting to see the changes you make so please keep updating. How do you update the dsg software?

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 07:50:07 am »
Bonjour! and welcome.

That's a great looking car, really nice with the beige leather and sunroof. Looks like you have big plans for it, will be interesting to see the changes you make so please keep updating. How do you update the dsg software?

Hi Jons!

Thanks for these words.

A lot of things had already done on it. i think i will post more pictures and details about the work which was done on it.
Regarding the DSG software, there are some TVS engineering reseller in France, so they can modify the DSG software according to your need ( Stage 1, 2 , 4, race clutches etc). The update that will be made on the gearbox is to improve his behaviour in traffic jams, things like that. Re-engage 1st gear, modify the D and S mode for a urban use.

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 04:00:15 pm »
First change made on the car was cruise control. A new multifonction module has been fitted and the cruise control stalker. The job hasn't been made by me.

A maintenance has been made to correct the known issues of the EA113 engine. You can see that the cam follower was in bad shape.

During the maintenance in the workshop, the guys saw the intake duct was fullfilled of calamine. So i told them to clean that. It was handmade.

This maintenance was for:
-Cleaning the intake duct
-Stock air filter changed by BMC filter.
-Cam follower and chain change
-PCV Valve change
-Stock dump valve changed by a TTS one
-New sparks plugs
-New thermostat, the car wasn't heating up, stayed about 75 degrees on highway and 90 in traffic.

I was searching for a MFA+ to have big screen and have more options on the car. I found this! A R32 cluster

The guy who sold me the cluster did all the work for me, i.e coding the option of the stock cluster in the new one, put the right mileage, VIN and so on.

Fitted in the car

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 04:31:11 pm by Murderous972 »

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 04:22:50 pm »
With the R32 cluster, it's time to refresh the cockpit. The next target is the steering wheel. My idea is to have a replica of MK6 R Steering wheel. The steering wheel are very expensive on the market and very rare. So, i decided to buy a classic one with DSG paddles and flat bottom and put the necessary parts to have a replica R. i found this one and i took it.

The guy who sold me the steering wheel was about to mount his MK6 in GTD style but he said me he had a massive penalty to not have respect lockdown, so he decided to sell the steering wheel.
The same guy who installed cruise control for me sold me the airbag and fitted for me.

MK6 vs MK5

Fresh interior with MFSW MK6 and R32 cluster

I have a GTD emblem on the car but the idea is to have a black GTI emblem.

Whats is this?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 06:34:04 pm »
steering wheel and clocks look great.

More updates please.

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 03:17:35 pm »
Some items i received for the car that were in the last picture.

A brand new front grill because the stock one lost his colour. The grill became grey

It's a plastic part which fitted on the side of driver seat. It's a part i bought in order to swap the driver seat with a fully electric one. Sadly, i ordered the wrong side. That part on the picture is for the passenger seat.

An oldschool ID plate support

Some stuff to improve the car. a highline CECM from Passat CC. New module door to implement electrical folding mirrors. New switch for the mirrors and mirror led light.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 07:36:39 pm »
Looks good, choice upgrades.
I quite like the beige contrast with black dash, looks very American market colour combination.
Personally - I would want to emphasise that contrast and change the headliner and pillar covers for black ones.

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 06:38:35 pm »
A goodie to make the car faster! :signLOL:

I received an electric seat in order to take the frame and electrical part and swap it on my GTI seat.

The most interesting part for me

Some work were made on the car. I removed the stock mirror to put electrical folding mirrors. I have to change the door unit also.

A guy installed the new CECM highline for me.

I have some troubles with the new CECM. Before the installation, i had no problem with my  windshield washer, everything was ok. i have a brandnew washer pump.
Since the new CECM, when i press the commodo, wipers move but there is no liquid sprayed on the windshield.
Washer headlight for xenon work and sprayed the liquid on the headlight.
On the rear side, when i push the commodo on the first step, the liquid sprayed out continually and doesn't stop until i push the commodo to the zero step.
If i push the rear commodo  to the maximum, there is no liquid sprayed.

I put new relay on the CECM but the issue persists. I changed the 449 relay in position DWP-V position and KL30 position.
I changed the fuses related to washer system.

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 03:22:10 pm »
Hi guys,

Some updates on the car.

I changed the battery because the old one was weak. Sometimes, in the morning, i had to insist to start the engine and i had some defaults on the VCDS because of that.

I ordred a black GTI trim for the steering wheel. I am waiting to find the black multifunction button to mount them together.

In order to have a highline setup, i ordered a highline convenience module 19 bytes

To refresh the cockpit, i had in mind to put a MK6 climatronic but i think the Passat/Scirocco 7Gen is better. So i took a climatronic from a Jetta. It will match better with the Disocver Media PQ.I will have to find a way for the fascia.

An heavy package from Belarus, what's that?

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 04:29:12 pm »
Very nice and detailed post! Nice history for this car.

Are u considering selling the old Airbag? Mine has a little scratch on the logo since I bought it

Regards from Spain!

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 04:52:32 pm »
Very nice and detailed post! Nice history for this car.

Are u considering selling the old Airbag? Mine has a little scratch on the logo since I bought it

Regards from Spain!
Hi Mekaniko,

Thank you for the nice word. I think i will update the post tonight.

Regarding the airbag, you came too late, i sold the complete steering wheel last week. In few hours, it was sold.

I am not sure but i think the logo on the airbag is glued. Maybe you can find a used logo to buy and replace it.

Does anyone here has retrofitted DCC on MK5? i have this idea in mind  :thinking:

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 09:33:00 am »
No worries for the airbag!

Never seen a post of someone retrofiting the DCC... without a donor car I don't see it. I have B12 on mine and very happy with that for a daily driver and also allows some spirit drives.

Have the DCC on my wifes mk3 LEON and always using it on sport...

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 10:34:04 am »
I only saw two MK5 retrofitted with DCC, there is a guy in Poland and another one in Singapore.

This is the Singapore guy's blog. He does a lot of retrofit on VW.

http://jimmy-cbx.blogspot.com/2015/09/dcc-on-golf-mark-5.html

You can find all the needed parts on the internet at good prices. I think the most difficult part is for the harness and diagram.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:55:56 am by Murderous972 »

Offline Murderous972

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 10:48:27 am »
Some fresh news for you guys!

This is what is hidden in the parcel in the last picture in my last post : R32 calipers
I bought them to a guy in Belarus. He painted them for me in these colours. I will make a refresh of all parts, i.e, seals, pistons, guide bushing and so on.
I  have to buy rotors, pads, and pipes.

I put to the car to the garage for a service :
-Oil change
-Oil pump modification
-Oil filter change
-Rear bearing change, they were dead. The front will be change later, they received the wrong part number.
-Hood cylinder change
-Fuel filter change
-Ignition coil replacement by red Audi R8 one,
-Wheels alignment
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:57:06 am by Murderous972 »