Make a donation

Author Topic: Downpipe and remap.  (Read 2645 times)

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Downpipe and remap.
« on: September 24, 2021, 02:15:37 am »
Thinking of purchasing a BCS downpipe with 100 cell cat soon.

Anyone know the lead time if i buy directly from BCS? Or am I better off getting it from AKS tuning?

Also if I fit it without a remap I know I'll get the CEL but surely I can plug in VCDS occasionally to check everything else is alright?

One last thing, if I were to get a remap at r-tech, what's the situation like with disconnecting the battery? Would it wipe clean and I'd have to drive back to Birmingham from Kent to sort it out every time? Could be a deal breaker and have to get something a little more local.

Cheers!

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
Re: Downpipe and remap.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:33:27 am »
It's only Revo that reverts back to stock when you disconnect the battery.

Nigel from BCS posted on here in the past, worth  a PM?

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 12:35:22 pm »
Thinking of purchasing a BCS downpipe with 100 cell cat soon.

Anyone know the lead time if i buy directly from BCS? Or am I better off getting it from AKS tuning?

Also if I fit it without a remap I know I'll get the CEL but surely I can plug in VCDS occasionally to check everything else is alright?

One last thing, if I were to get a remap at r-tech, what's the situation like with disconnecting the battery? Would it wipe clean and I'd have to drive back to Birmingham from Kent to sort it out every time? Could be a deal breaker and have to get something a little more local.

Cheers!

Give me a call on 01744 610244
Cheers
Nige

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:42:16 pm »
Just asking the question, but what’s the point in a 100cel cat?
Most 200cel cats struggle to get through MOT emissions these days, so surely it’s either 200cel and thrashing it before the MOT, or decat and a friendly MOT tester?

Getting too old for this...

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 10:07:28 pm »
Most 200cel cats struggle to get through MOT emissions these days, so surely it’s either 200cel and thrashing it before the MOT, or decat and a friendly MOT tester?

I was thinking the same but I swear I've seen Nige say on here before that their 100 cell do pass, I'll ask when I ring tomorrow. Didn't want to bother him over the weekend.

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 12:23:37 pm »
Give me a call and I'll explain everything
Cheers
Nige

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 04:17:51 pm »

Exactly. All you ever get from BCS is “Give us a call”. Whatever. £1000 exhaust systems, and they use this forum to advertise, but can’t be bothered to explain why their cats pass MOTs where most others fail. I don’t believe they do pass, certainly not at a strict dealer, and definitely not after year 2 or 3, but all you get is sales pitch…..if you call them.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 04:23:07 pm »
It's only Revo that reverts back to stock when you disconnect the battery.

Nigel from BCS posted on here in the past, worth  a PM?

Revo after a battery pull is WORSE than stock. B0, T1, F1.

I think it’s a copyright protection method because no other remap does such a ridiculous thing when the battery is disconnected, but Revo claim otherwise, which is of course bollocks and is a way to sell you a sh*tty little box to get the map you paid for back again.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 10:04:49 pm »
Exactly. All you ever get from BCS is “Give us a call”. Whatever. £1000 exhaust systems, and they use this forum to advertise, but can’t be bothered to explain why their cats pass MOTs where most others fail. I don’t believe they do pass, certainly not at a strict dealer, and definitely not after year 2 or 3, but all you get is sales pitch…..if you call them.

Well now I'm second guessing!

Off the top of my head other options are:
Milltek
Pipewerx
Trackslag
APR
Scorpion

Any others? Probably edging towards a milltek at the moment.

What are people running and how did your MOTs go?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 10:43:00 pm »

My BCS failed it’s MOT after 4 years. Fitted in 2014, failed in 2018. That was over 45-50k miles.

Calls were made and they fitted a new cat with newer better designed flexi for not much money. They are great to deal with.

Will it fail again? Dunno…. It’s passed 3 MOTs on its new cat. If it does I’ll probably just get a new cat fitted again.

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 11:14:07 am »

Well now I'm second guessing!

Off the top of my head other options are:
Milltek
Pipewerx
Trackslag
APR
Scorpion

Any others? Probably edging towards a milltek at the moment.

What are people running and how did your MOTs go?

I bought mine from MP Developments. Finally going to fit it tomorrow.

I’d like to know what the HP difference is between a 100cel and 200cel. From various graphs I’ve seen, there’s only about 3-5hp between a sports cat and de-cat. So it must only be 1 or 2, seems utterly pointless.

And just to clarify, I’m talking Stage 2 only here. I assume once you’re in the realms of hybrid turbos/stage 3/stage 4, then you’ll need a decat...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:35:28 am by JoshB »

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 12:01:12 pm »

Having known Nige for going on 15 years there is nothing sinister going on here.  He is a great person to speak to over the phone and being so enthusiastic and passionate he will best get the explanation done by speaking to him.  Fantastic company to deal with.

We don't get any issues with their cats passing the MOT at our local place.  We just explain what they need to do with regards to warming them up first.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 10:57:45 am »
I don't doubt he's a sincere and knowledgable guy, but exhausts come up on here all the time, so why not just take 10 mins to explain the benefits for everyones' benefit?  Not everyone wants to ring businesses up, especially not in the current e-commerce world, and especially not if they have to try 3 or 4 times to get a response.  They just want a simple click and buy.  "Give me call" reminds me of the old pre-internet days of "Price on application".  Nah, sod that, I'll go with someone who actually presents the information up front.

Given the volume of exhaust/cat queries on here, it wouldn't hurt to explain to people why their cats are better than competitors.

The fact of the matter with cats is none of the aftermarket 'sports' cats come close to the OEM part. 10+ year old OEM cats still get through emissions due to the superior substrate quality and higher precious metals content.  It's why cat thieves are only targeting OEM ones because they know pattern ones are worthless in the shady underworld market.

In terms of sport cats, the bigger the better.  I just take issue with exhaust brands luring customers into the belief their tiny little 100 cell cats will always pass the MOT when it's not that clear cut.  It's borderline in many cases at best, and flat out fail at worst.  Customers/testers shouldn't need to thrash the crud out of their cars to scrape a pass.

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 11:09:19 am »
FYI, just had my MP Development down pipe fitted the other day.
Throttle response is greatly improved, no CEL light and the garage even stuck the MOT probe up there and it passed!