Make a donation

Author Topic: Putting out feelers - Mk5 Pirelli in Graphite blue  (Read 2954 times)

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Putting out feelers - Mk5 Pirelli in Graphite blue
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 11:35:21 am »
Yes - it is a real shame VW have dropped a 3 door option from the Golf range.
Personally I don't like 5 doors Golfs because:

Comfort - I find my head and shoulders are next to the B pillar making getting in and out harder and blocking visibility -I'm not particularly tall at only 6'1".

Weight - with all the extra hinges, locks and window mechanisms they are carrying more weight + more to go wrong.

Styling - the extra set of doors look like an afterthought, on the Mk5 it looses the interesting wedge shape created by the rear side widows rising up - this area on the 5 door is just a boring straight horizontal line. Adding extra doors compromises the front door size and let's face the fact that the rear door openings are not really that big, OK for small children -awful for adults.

Other than the practicalities of getting bodies in and out of the rear seats - the only positive is 5 door golfs are slightly stiffer than 3 door - more openings, but each of the openings are smaller than the 3 door ones and extra structure near the rear axle means there is less flex.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 01:06:09 pm »
I'm not allowed a 3dr anymore as my wife rightly says I'm not 20 anymore.  :congrats:

Offline kjg1976

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 02:15:26 am »
Appreciate your comments and take your point. Will be selling officially soon.
Is that an interest, or just an observation?  :wink:

Sadly no as I dislike 5 door Golfs intensely  :wink:

I was merely observing your asking price is a fair one in light of some more expensive choices!

I would recommend a proper for sale advert if you're serious in selling it though.  People aren't going to come running and queue outside your door just because it's a Pirelli.  'Feeler' threads are usually ignored as no one likes vague when it comes to parting with money.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 08:24:17 am »
I'm not allowed a 3dr anymore as my wife rightly says I'm not 20 anymore.  :congrats:

Seriously?  :grin:  What has a car's door count got to do with maturity?  :stupid:

People must think I'm a right saddo driving a 3 door Golf at 48 years old  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 08:26:08 am »
Appreciate your comments and take your point. Will be selling officially soon.

Best of luck with the sale  :happy2:  It's a sought after car and will sell pretty quickly I expect.

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 08:35:56 am »

Seriously?  :grin:  What has a car's door count got to do with maturity?  :stupid:

People must think I'm a right saddo driving a 3 door Golf at 48 years old  :grin:
[Haha me too I'm 40 and still drive it like I stole it most of the time]

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 08:37:43 am »
Yes - it is a real shame VW have dropped a 3 door option from the Golf range.
Personally I don't like 5 doors Golfs because:

Comfort - I find my head and shoulders are next to the B pillar making getting in and out harder and blocking visibility -I'm not particularly tall at only 6'1".

Weight - with all the extra hinges, locks and window mechanisms they are carrying more weight + more to go wrong.

Styling - the extra set of doors look like an afterthought, on the Mk5 it looses the interesting wedge shape created by the rear side widows rising up - this area on the 5 door is just a boring straight horizontal line. Adding extra doors compromises the front door size and let's face the fact that the rear door openings are not really that big, OK for small children -awful for adults.

Other than the practicalities of getting bodies in and out of the rear seats - the only positive is 5 door golfs are slightly stiffer than 3 door - more openings, but each of the openings are smaller than the 3 door ones and extra structure near the rear axle means there is less flex.

Yep, all the reasons I dislike 5 doors as well, but the world has decreed 3 doors are no longer acceptable, unfashionable (apparently), unwanted and should just go away and die in a corner somewhere.

The side profile of the MK7 is the same for both 3 and 5 door, so I guess that was the sign 3 doors would be deleted completely from MK8 onwards.

It's all about bottom line now.  Reducing choice and building to a price, instead of a standard.  I can guarantee in 10 years time, MK8s will be rusting away under the sill covers like MK4, MK5 & MK6s do.  I wouldn't go as far as to say cars are a scam, but rather a massive swindle.  £52,000 for an Arteon R.  £52K!!! For a fricking Passat in a posh frock.  VW were always the cheaper end of the German car market  :stupid:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 08:39:57 am »

[Haha me too I'm 40 and still drive it like I stole it most of the time]

Absolutely  :drinking:

And I'll still be driving cars as intended when I'm 88  :grin: