Make a donation

Author Topic: O2 sensor adaptor  (Read 1617 times)

Offline briank213

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
O2 sensor adaptor
« on: October 05, 2021, 04:37:09 pm »
Hi everyone the mechanic just called to tell me the misfires on my car as well as the P1093 code and random misfire codes are all clear and the issue was there was a adaptor that was fitted onto  downpipe where the O2 sensor fits so It was reading the exhaust gasses incorrectly and causing all the issues on my car from the fuel cuts to the car shuttering. Does anyone know what this is ?

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: O2 sensor adaptor
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 06:14:34 pm »
Looks like a type of spacer - but with a needle hole - an attempt to reduce the sensitivity of the sensor.

Offline briank213

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 11:40:33 pm »
Looks like a type of spacer - but with a needle hole - an attempt to reduce the sensitivity of the sensor.
ya it's some kind of cat fooler but this was installed on the turbo O2  sensor not sure why the tuner installed this on my car it caused all types of problems and threw a P1093 code ended up changing plugs, coils, plugs, hpfp, PCV valve and injectors and only to find out this was the issue on the car. After they removed it and reinstalled the sensor all the codes cleared and the car is running smooth again.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 03:12:20 pm »
Who ever installed that on the primary O2 should find another career, or go to college and learn how engines and engine management systems work if it was a DIY effort  :doh:

They should never be used anyway as they're an utter bodge, but they go downstream of the second cat to 'fool' the catalyst efficiency check.  It's basically what people fit when selling a car that has a catalyst efficiency EML.  Kind of like when people used to break the ABS light to disguise an impending £1000 ABS pump replacement.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline briank213

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 05:36:48 pm »
Who ever installed that on the primary O2 should find another career, or go to college and learn how engines and engine management systems work if it was a DIY effort  :doh:

They should never be used anyway as they're an utter bodge, but they go downstream of the second cat to 'fool' the catalyst efficiency check.  It's basically what people fit when selling a car that has a catalyst efficiency EML.  Kind of like when people used to break the ABS light to disguise an impending £1000 ABS pump replacement.
Ya but I am not sure if they did this on purpose so they could make more money of me making it seem like my car had a issue on the injectors and Hpfp cause I ran out of options on things to change and now I changed all of parts for nothing. I am just happy the other mechanic found what was causing the issue on my car and now my car is back to normal. I don't feel like tuning any other car again from this experience.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 04:52:56 pm »
I wouldn't let this experience put you off.  If things are done properly you don't get issues!

Offline briank213

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 06:17:47 pm »
I wouldn't let this experience put you off.  If things are done properly you don't get issues!
Ya true, I just drove the car now it's smooth and scary fast now 6th gear pull car is doing over 150mph. When I got home i scanned the car all the misfire codes are gone but now it's got P0441 code. Looks it's the Evap mission control system any idea what causes this ?

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 12:34:11 pm »
Carbon canister or pump Purge Valve - difficult to know what one to try first, I tried canister first, but it came back again a month later so replaced the pump Purge Valve.

For what they are the prices of genuine parts are high, I went after market for both:
Ebay canisters seem to be OK - mine from Hong Kong had its part number ground off, I suspect its genuine VW part but made chinese market.
The OEM pump Purge Valve said Bosch so I just got a genuine Bosch pump Purge Valve.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 12:53:34 pm by LC5F »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 12:44:28 pm »
Could also be the N80 valve stuck open, or a bad seal on the fuel filler cap.  I had to replace both of those and the canister on mine to shift the code.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 12:52:13 pm »
Yes - N80 is the pump I was referring to 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 12:55:05 pm »
It's a solenoid, not a pump.

Offline briank213

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 03:10:34 pm »
Carbon canister or pump Purge Valve - difficult to know what one to try first, I tried canister first, but it came back again a month later so replaced the pump Purge Valve.

For what they are the prices of genuine parts are high, I went after market for both:
Ebay canisters seem to be OK - mine from Hong Kong had its part number ground off, I suspect its genuine VW part but made chinese market.
The OEM pump Purge Valve said Bosch so I just got a genuine Bosch pump Purge Valve.
Thanks for the help I will look at it this week and try and order the N80 valve and the canister is it a DIY job or do I need a mechanic?

Offline briank213

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 03:21:52 pm »
Could also be the N80 valve stuck open, or a bad seal on the fuel filler cap.  I had to replace both of those and the canister on mine to shift the code.
How can you see if you the fuel cap is damaged?.I opened the fuel cap and I don't see anything so I don't think it's the fuel cap. I will try and change the N80 valve and canister and see if the code clears

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 10:31:46 pm »
The carbon canister is very easy, unclip from bracket and unclip pipes.

Purge valve is a bit more involved - there is a DAP N80 You tube video that covers this:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 10:36:24 pm by LC5F »