Make a donation

Author Topic: Loss of power after 2500 rpm  (Read 724 times)

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
Loss of power after 2500 rpm
« on: October 06, 2021, 03:54:50 pm »
How do!

I've encountered a bit of a problem with my GTI, its a 56 plate.

Driving to work this morning I noticed that I have no boost/power after around 2500rpm.  The intake sound changes like there's a drop in pressure?  Its difficult to explain.

The car is stage 2 by R Tech but that was done around 3 years ago.  I replaced the diverter valve when I first bought the car around 6 years ago with a revision G.

From your experience, does this sound like a diverter valve fault or potentially something else?

One last thing to note is that as far as im aware, there are no fault codes.

I hope this in the right thread, apologies if it isnt.

TIA
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 03:56:41 pm by sean.smithy94 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Loss of power after 2500 rpm
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 02:57:35 pm »
Normally get underboost fault codes if the DV pops.  If that was last done 6 years ago, it might not hurt to stick another one in, or better still, a GFB DV+.

Also do all the usual PCV checks and look for signs of oil sweats around the intercooler pipe connections.  A common thing there is the metal boost pipe ovalises due to the extreme amount of engine movement down there. If that happens, you will need a new pipe as well as a new O ring.

It's also a good idea to log the actual vs requested boost pressure with the scan tool, and also actual vs requested fuel pressure.  Boost reductions aren't just caused by leaks, the engine ECU will cut the boost if other problems exist to protect the engine.

It's always best to be armed with as much info as possible before approaching the tuner for advice because 9 times in 10, they always blame the hardware.....and to be fair, it usually is  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D