Make a donation

Author Topic: Gravity performance ic  (Read 1426 times)

Offline finna00

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Gravity performance ic
« on: October 17, 2021, 12:48:09 pm »
Hi, has anyone got one of gravity performance intercooler?
They’re listed as front mounts but judging off photos they look like a straight replacement for the standard ones. I know they technically are a front mount but can’t tell if it is just a replacement?

Not sure if that makes any sense, but any input appreciated😀

https://www.gravityperformance.co.uk/front-mount-intercooler-kit-volkswagen-golf-mk5-mk6-gti-jetta-a3-seat-leon-cupra-2-0t-2-0tdi-caddy-1-9tdi-scirocco-1-4t-2-0t-2-0tdi-passat-1-8t-2-0t-2-0tdi-touran-1-9tdi-2-0tdi-2004-2013
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:53:07 pm by finna00 »

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Gravity performance ic
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 01:50:27 pm »
Yes it is a direct replacement... but before stumping up cash, read this thread:
https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,132065.0.html

Offline finna00

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 02:50:17 pm »
Hmmmmm that finish looks terrible, one of the lads from work had one from them but for a mini he said it was mint. If it turns up looking like that I’ll be sending it back.

Thanks

Offline finna00

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 05:12:31 pm »
Well... the ic from gravity came today and it was absolutely shocking. im sending it back, they are sending a "checked" replacement but i haven't got my hopes up.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 09:09:05 am »
Do yourself a favour and get a used S3/6R ic off ebay.

I've been running a 6R ic for years now and the cooling efficiency of them is superb.  Never any more than 10 deg above atmosphere under full throttle conditions. MK5s don't need anything more than that except when doing big turbo conversions, or running a K04 flat out.

A lot of the really cheap ics I've seen on ebay are bloody awful.  I bet at least 30% of them have pin hole leaks around the poor welding.

The benefit of OEM is they are designed to be the best compromise for lag, fitment quality, life span and temp reduction.  The core quality and end tank shape are far superior to anything this side of APR, Wagner, Airtec, Integrated Engineering etc.  These are important features to get right to ensure the air travels through the whole core, not just 40% of it.

All cheap ebay ics do is copy the physical dimensions.  Everything else is secondary.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 10:15:35 pm »
Do yourself a favour and get a used S3/6R ic off ebay.

I've been running a 6R ic for years now and the cooling efficiency of them is superb.  Never any more than 10 deg above atmosphere under full throttle conditions. MK5s don't need anything more than that except when doing big turbo conversions, or running a K04 flat out.

A lot of the really cheap ics I've seen on ebay are bloody awful.  I bet at least 30% of them have pin hole leaks around the poor welding.

The benefit of OEM is they are designed to be the best compromise for lag, fitment quality, life span and temp reduction.  The core quality and end tank shape are far superior to anything this side of APR, Wagner, Airtec, Integrated Engineering etc.  These are important features to get right to ensure the air travels through the whole core, not just 40% of it.

All cheap ebay ics do is copy the physical dimensions.  Everything else is secondary.

This 100%.

The cheap intercoolers literally make sure they fit and weld some bars in. There’s no flow design.
Mine makes a lovely laptop stand, got two pen holders at either end.
Getting too old for this...