Make a donation

Author Topic: Release bearing, any issues if left?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Release bearing, any issues if left?
« on: October 18, 2021, 02:02:45 am »
Bought a manual ko4  converted mk5 gti recently.

Have noticed that at idle there is a fairly loud whirring noise which completely disappears when clutch pedal is depressed.

Car was fitted with an rts clutch kit  last year (only done 2-3k Miles) and according to the paperwork received release bearing was changed as well. Have heard they’re a bit sh*t in comparison to helix organic/sachs but hoping its got some life left in it yet..

Are there any downsides to just running the clutch until it gives out or am I best to get it changed ASAP?

No other issues whatsoever with clutch/gear changes etc.

Have also read that apparently it can be gearbox input shaft bearings and people have changed clutch and noise is still present.. hoping I can just run it until it dies but if anyone can shed some light on this would be much appreciated as I’m unsure.

Cheers.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Release bearing, any issues if left?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 02:01:42 pm »
Noisy release bearings can carry on for ages, but at some point will need replacing.  Don't hold the clutch down at traffic lights/junctions to minimise the heat going through it.  Dry bearings can fall apart if they get too hot.

Worn out input shaft bearings usually only whir when the gearbox is hot.  I wouldn't worry about that if it is because they can make that noise for years with no adverse affects.

The RTS clutch didn't come with a single mass flywheel did it?

What about the classic input shaft shim?  Has that ever been checked/sorted?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 11:31:59 pm »
Ok thanks Pudding appreciate the advice.

It just says RTS twin friction clutch kit on the invoice + release bearing but after a quick google it does seem like that is the smf one.. so I would assume it has been converted yeah.

No idea about the shim unfortunately but can only assume that hasn’t been done.

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 12:57:17 am »
Ok thanks Pudding appreciate the advice.

It just says RTS twin friction clutch kit on the invoice + release bearing but after a quick google it does seem like that is the smf one.. so I would assume it has been converted yeah.

No idea about the shim unfortunately but can only assume that hasn’t been done.

Just checked again and it’s definitely not the single mass flywheel :smiley: as it is the £500 kit not the £750 one. I’ve also noticed when I press the pedal in very slightly the rattle gets louder then disappears when fully pressed in.

Either way I will just try limit my use of the clutch pedal and drive it til it drives no more..  Just wanted to check it wouldn’t cause extra wear to gearbox or anything else if left. 👍

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 08:59:22 am »
How old is the car?  05 and 06 cars had a problem with excessive end float on the input shaft, which needs shimming.  07 onwards gearboxes were shimmed at the factory.

The main issue with that is the clutch pedal staying on the floor and difficulty selecting 1st and 2nd gears, but it can also cause noise problems.  If your gears slot in OK and the pedal doesn't stick, your box may already be shimmed.

Is it a slight whirring noise, or really loud?

On a healthy gearbox up to temperature, there usually is a little whirring but it shouldn't be excessively loud and can only be heard inside the car, with AC off, windows up etc.  That's all fine and normal.  What isn't normal is excessive clattering/whirring that can be easily heard over the engine running - that's why I asked about the SMF as they create a lot of noise.

Lastly - engine mounts.  Are they OEM or uprated?  Some aftermarket mounts can massively amplify transmission noise.

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 10:35:09 pm »
It is a 2006, so potentially needing shimmed if that is the case -

I’m a bit more used to the car now and it does sometimes struggle going into first, and occasionally reverse, hasn’t done it in second that I can recall.

It can also be a bit juddery taking off in first and when letting clutch out after shifting into second. Also downshifting without a wee throttle blip can be a bit juddery.

Has never slipped on me and no issues from 2nd - 6th.

I had an 08 gti before this one and it also had a whirring noise exactly as you’ve described, wasn’t very loud at all and radio etc had to be off to hear it,

On this one it is pretty audible over engine running and radio at low volume when stopped at lights etc. Also does it immediately on start up when everything is still freezing.  Not crazy loud, definitely couldn’t be heard outside of car but noticeably louder than the last one and could easily be heard over running engine with window open slightly and radio on low volume. Considerably louder when clutch pedal pressed maybe 1/4 in and disappears completely after clutch is 3/4- all the way in.

I’ve been told the engine mounts are oem but gearbox mount is uprated.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 12:39:21 pm »
Mine was reluctant to go into first on my original gearbox (2007) when hot, with a Helix clutch.  I then fitted a MK6 gearbox with another Helix and it's been fine ever since.  I guess the later gearboxes are just that bit tighter, not sure.

I'm also wonder if the original clutch line is expanding when hot as the shifts were always spot on when cold, but got worse with heat. 

Yeah, juddering is the nature of the beast with aftermarket clutches unfortunately.  And some of that is down to how it's bedded in also.  My Helix doesn't judder, but only because I did a metric truck ton of downshifts from medium revs for approx 500 miles before burying the gas pedal into the carpet.

Hmmm, difficult to know for sure without hearing the noise.  Is it a poly gearbox mount do you know?  That definitely makes things noisier.  Weird that it gets louder with 1/4 pressure, then quiet again at 3/4.  Very odd.

Offline Monzoa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 11:16:52 pm »
Ah that’s good to know, if if ever gets the point of changing box will try opt for a newer one. Can’t recall it ever doing it when cold so you may be on to something with the clutch line. I’d be out of my depth trying to work that one out haha.

The noise doesn’t really bother me too much if I’m honest so I will probably just drive it until it needs a new clutch. Is a bit of a strange one though yeah, can try post/link a video at some point but it’ll probably be a mission to hear through a sh*tty iPhone mic.

It is a very recently fitted powerflex gearbox mount so I’m assuming that means polybushed yeah. Fitted before my ownership so couldn’t tell you if noise was present/as bad before.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 02:32:46 pm »
I don't know for sure if that's the cause, but logically speaking, the original line's rubber section is well over 10 years old now, so probably gets a bit soggy with heat - plus the extra pressure of the uprated clutch.  You can buy an uprated clutch line from various companies, so might be worth a go.

I can definitely recommend a MK6/Scirocco gearbox if yours ever lets go.  A much slicker shift  :smiley:

Yeah a sound clip would be good but appreciate what you hear at the other end isn't always accurate!

It's a ball ache but one way to outrule the powerflex insert is to fit a standard mount, but it's a subframe down job, so you won't be wanting to do that in a hurry  :grin: