Make a donation

Author Topic: Swap my MK2 16v GTI for an Ed30?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Jeevan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Swap my MK2 16v GTI for an Ed30?
« on: October 21, 2021, 11:49:44 am »
Hi guys,

Is anyone interested in swapping an Ed30 for my MK2 16v GTI?

It has:
-91k miles
-4 owners (last owner owned it since 1993)
-Completely Standard
-Full Service History with Stack of receipts (would take you a good hour to get through it all)
(Will ad pictures below)

If anyone is interested send me message on this or message me on 07885433755.

It would be a great investment as it is an appreciating classic.

Thanks
Jeevan.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Swap my MK2 16v GTI for an Ed30?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 05:08:59 pm »
Did you buy it 3 years ago?

Offline Jeevan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 05:29:36 pm »
Noo, I got it earlier this year.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 09:27:49 am »
Swap plus a large chunk of cash the ED30's way I'd say.

I've had loads of MK2s. Great cars but they all rotted away from the inside out.  Unfortunately your example appears to be suffering the same fate with quite a few severe corrosion warnings, and actually failed an MOT due to seat belt anchor integrity.

Definitely not straight swappable I'm afraid, no offence.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jeevan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 12:33:35 pm »
I’d have to disagree as the seat belt anchor and the suspension mount component was fixed with up to £3,000 worth of receipts . I have all the receipts to show it has been done and to a good standard. It’s a very good example, not in concours condition but very good for its age. It was cherished by the last owner who had it since 1993 and he never cheaped out on it. I wouldn’t be driving it if I knew important components needed to be fixed. If anyone does have any questions just reach out and I’ll answer whatever it is. Please don’t assume the condition without asking as people will assume there are important things wrong with the vehicle when there isn’t.

Thanks
Jeevan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 01:00:00 pm »
I simply referred to publicly available information, but obviously MOTs can only report on things at the time of testing.

People wouldn't have to assume things if more information was presented upfront, rather than, I dunno.....finding a number of corrosion warnings on MOT Check for example. It would be more appropriate to place a wanted ad in the marketplace to minimise speculative chat, and in there you can be extremely detailed about the car's history and work done to it, and also what you expect from an ED30 in return.

Swapping an ED30 (some still fetch £10K+) for a much older car is obviously going to attract a lot of due diligence and background checks from the interested party to make sure the transaction is financially viable, and that they're not potentially taking on a full restoration project.

Anyway, I'm glad it's all been sorted.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 02:47:43 pm »
M.o.t history checks are invaluable to a potential new owner. I can't speak for the worl but based on what I see I would be giving it a wide berth. It does beg the question why u only just acquired it and not want rid of it after only 4 months?

Good luck with a swap tho  :happy2:

Offline Jeevan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 03:34:40 pm »
I did not mean for the reply to come off as rude, I was just simply saying the work has been corrected. I understand why you did an MOT check as everyone does when they’re looking to buy a vehicle but from what you said it seemed like my idea of a swap was not worth it. I agree I should have put this in the sales section  however I am new the group and really didn’t know where to post for the swap. I know some Ed30’s are fetching some serious money but I thought I’d leave the post open ended as to see what people would offer. Again apologies if I came across as rude.

And for the reason I’m looking for a swap is that this is my daily at the moment and it is not very practical. The car is due to go on collecting cars however before it goes up I thought I’d see if anyone would like to swap (saves the hassle of the auction) but if no one does then it will see it’s turn on collecting cars. All my daily’s have been 30 year old cars and I feel like it’s time for a change.

Thanks
Jeevan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 04:07:10 pm »
It's fine, no animosity or abrasiveness was intended on my part either.  It's just that swapping a MK2 for an ED30 is quite an eye catching thread, so I just had a little peek on MOT check out of interest, because as I said previously, I've owned several MK2s and know they can be quite troublesome with rust.  It certainly wasn't my intention to imply your car is a beater (it certainly doesn't look it!) and not worthy of a swap. Apologies if it came across that way.

Shall we hug it out?  :love:  Welcome to the forum btw  :happy2:

It's certainly worth asking.  Decent MK2s are hard to find now and quite a lot of folk on here sell up and move on, so you never know.

I came from MK2s and Corrados to a MK5, which was a big jump, so I totally get why you fancy something a bit bigger and newer.

Offline Jeevan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 04:19:29 pm »
I can’t turn down a hug!  :love:

Yeah so my intention with the MK2 was to keep as an investment and that was in storage however my actual daily is a E30 318is and the head gasket is going on that so I’ve had to replace the MK2 with that (storage wise) so I’ve been left with the MK2 as a daily.

I have no storage for it right now so I’m just going to let it go and get something a bit more practical. My best friend has an ED30 and It’s just a different breed. From the day he got it I’ve just gotten the ED30 bug. Maybe someone might want to swap but either way when it goes up for auction I’ll be on the hunt for an. ED30.

Jeevan.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 04:36:37 pm »
The world needs more hugs right now, socially distanced ones of course  :grin:

You have a 318is as well! Nice  :happy2:

I don't blame you for liking the ED30.  They're quite something to drive, especially with a Stage 1 remap and a mild suspension upgrade  :happy2: 

Shame you can't keep the MK2 and get an ED30 as well!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 04:50:15 pm »
Just noticed you did actually post a Wanted thread for an ED30 on the 14th  :ashamed:  No offers off the back of that then?

Offline Jeevan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 05:23:42 pm »
I know I wish I could keep the MK2 but it’s not very responsible with the position that I’m in now. I’m only 21 so I have to plan for the future.

And yes I posted a wanted thread however no one got back to me. Seems like no one is selling on here at the moment. I’ve posted a swap post on Facebook and I’ve had a couple people interested but the guy I’m talking to is away for work so I’ll have to wait a few weeks to view it.