Make a donation

Author Topic: Squeal under load, garage trouble  (Read 1188 times)

Offline burnout88

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Squeal under load, garage trouble
« on: October 22, 2021, 02:52:27 pm »
Hi All, Sorry this is my first post but guess that's just the way it goes..

Ok so first off I have a 54' MkV GTI with just a slice over 130k on the clock. Other than a aftermarket panel filter, the entire car is stock mechanically.

I have had a squealing noise under load for about 2 months, it started off really infrequently and worked its way up to a point when it was impossible to pass off as anything minor, took the car in for a much needed service expecting the alternator belt to get flagged up but to my surprise it was fine.

2 weeks go past and its driving me mad so I take it back in and they have now suggested it might be a sheered or broken bolt in/on the exhaust manifold. The problem I'm having is that they are so buried in cars at the moment that stripping my engine down to investigate is not a priority and its been there 2.5 weeks just sat waiting. They have estimated a cost of £500-£600 to get the work done (labour & parts) and that's assuming its not the manifold itself that needs replacing.

I have seen a few other people with this sort of issue on here but have absolutely zero mechanical knowledge so wouldn't even dream of attempting this. The question I want answered is how much should this really be costing me, ie. is 500-600 reasonable? (I'm in Cornwall btw) and is anyone from down this way able to give me some suggestions as to where I can take the car? I don't have endless finances and at £600 I'm pretty much at my budget but I also want to make sure it's done correctly.

Sorry for the essay!

Cheers in advance
Kris   

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Squeal under load, garage trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 04:26:38 pm »
It would be good to know how thorough their alternator belt check was. Hopefully it wasn't just a "Yeah that looks OK" job.  The alternator pulley has a one way clutch on it, which if it fails, could potentially cause noise. If the pulleys look shiny on the inner ridges, that indicates a worn belt.

The only other thing I can think of that makes a loud squealing noise is the turbo.  The turbo and exhaust manifold are one part, so they can check that when they've got it apart.  £500-600 sounds steep to look for a broken bolt, and I'm not sure how that would cause a squealing noise, but if the turbo itself is shot, you're looking at £1000 + fitting for a brand new one. Refurbished ones usually cost around £500, which I would take over a £200 chinese one from ebay.

Good luck!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline burnout88

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 07:06:18 pm »
It would be good to know how thorough their alternator belt check was. Hopefully it wasn't just a "Yeah that looks OK" job.  The alternator pulley has a one way clutch on it, which if it fails, could potentially cause noise. If the pulleys look shiny on the inner ridges, that indicates a worn belt.

The only other thing I can think of that makes a loud squealing noise is the turbo.  The turbo and exhaust manifold are one part, so they can check that when they've got it apart.  £500-600 sounds steep to look for a broken bolt, and I'm not sure how that would cause a squealing noise, but if the turbo itself is shot, you're looking at £1000 + fitting for a brand new one. Refurbished ones usually cost around £500, which I would take over a £200 chinese one from ebay.

Good luck!

Hey thanks for the swift reply, I think it's probably going to be best to get a second opinion from another garage without anything as invasive as the engine being stripped down. I would think the check on the alternator belt was done to a good standard as the garage has always been very thorough and upfront about things with me although there's always a first for everything. If I don't need to pay the labour of taking the engine apart then I'd be most pleased.

I'm really hoping it's not the turbo as that's an expense that I could do without!

Apparently the reason that they suspect the manifold is that they believe the sound is air being pushed through a gap. Supposedly it's a fairly common issue on these golfs.

Offline burnout88

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 07:25:03 pm »
So I have finally got the car back from the garage, the bolt that was sheered off was under the turbo and had to be stripped right down to get at it. £430 later no more squeel..

Now I'm hearing a whoosh of air almost like intake noise but it's constant, I'm suspecting there is a split hose or something where they have been working and I have an air leak, any suggestions what else might be causing it?

Ta