Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30 Hybrid Turbo build  (Read 7190 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Ed30 Hybrid Turbo build
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2021, 10:18:16 am »
Oooh you big tease  :grin:

Have you got beefy engine mounts?  You're gonna need them with all the wheel spin :grin:  A Wavetrac diff probably not a bad idea either, plus MK6 ABS ECU with XDS  :happy2:

The guy in this video mentioned his friend's MK7 had such severe axle hop, it cracked his windscreen  :surprised: :grin:  I can only guess the engine must have clouted the bulkhead for that to happen??!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2021, 04:04:19 pm »
Oooh you big tease  :grin:

Have you got beefy engine mounts?  You're gonna need them with all the wheel spin :grin:  A Wavetrac diff probably not a bad idea either, plus MK6 ABS ECU with XDS  :happy2:

The guy in this video mentioned his friend's MK7 had such severe axle hop, it cracked his windscreen  :surprised: :grin:  I can only guess the engine must have clouted the bulkhead for that to happen??!

Nice one Kev. Yeah axel hop is a pain, and i've got a Powerflex Anti Lift kit going on as well as an upgraded dog bone mount. They are a given, even at lower power, as they massively help put the extra power to the wheels, as well as preventing the dreaded wheel hop, and cracked windscreens!!!!! LOL

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2021, 06:16:52 pm »
My pipewerx down pipe snapped at the flexi a few weeks after going stage 2+ due to worn out engine mounts so upgraded or new standard mounts are a good investment

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2021, 07:29:58 am »
My pipewerx down pipe snapped at the flexi a few weeks after going stage 2+ due to worn out engine mounts so upgraded or new standard mounts are a good investment

Thanks Sean,
I'm wondering if its worth changing the engine the trans & engine mounts for OEM, or simply upgrading the existing mounts with the Powerflex kits? Have you or anyone else done this? I'll check the engine movement amount, and gauge if the actual mounts need replacing, or just the Powerflex kits

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2021, 10:03:07 am »
I’ve heard mixed reviews on the powerflex inserts , such as loose fitting and eventually working their way out of the mounts. But this is probably down to been used on already knackered mounts.

They probably work well on brand new mounts but once you’ve bought new mounts and the powerflex inserts your not far off the price of upgraded aftermarket mounts.

Another alternative is to buy new oem mounts then fill the voids yourself with some polyurethane rubber and choose your own stiffness. Or if your mounts are in good condition then use them.

I have the full Revo set but I couldn’t recommend them. They vibrate hard on idle and the bolts have come loose a couple of times. I wished I’d spent a bit more and got the vibra-technic set.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:09:28 am by Sean_ED30 »

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2021, 11:53:22 am »
I'm gonna just go for  the ECS dog bone upgrade and see how  that plays out. I dont want to make things too stiff, as i know it will ruin the ride and cabin noise

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2021, 02:54:01 pm »
No internal strengthening?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2021, 03:23:52 pm »
No internal strengthening?

Not sure what you mean bud?

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2021, 03:53:48 pm »
Will you be forging the engine internals?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2021, 04:37:13 pm »
Not for the power I’m going to which will likely be circa 430hp and similar TQ I’ve followed TR Hamza and his build without a full decat, restricted exhaust made 417hp 425tq. I’ve had long chats with Niki @ R-Tech and those are safe numbers for stock internals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2021, 06:17:49 pm »
I fitted new engine and gearbox mounts with the powerflex inserts and have had no issues with them.

I also fitted a new dogbone mount with the 034 motorsport billet insert, again no problems.

The difference was noticeable from the first drive.

It's that same thing when you replace old parts, are you feeling the benefit of the inserts or just the fresh mounts?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2021, 07:04:40 pm »
I fitted new engine and gearbox mounts with the powerflex inserts and have had no issues with them.

I also fitted a new dogbone mount with the 034 motorsport billet insert, again no problems.

The difference was noticeable from the first drive.

It's that same thing when you replace old parts, are you feeling the benefit of the inserts or just the fresh mounts?

Valid point bud.
I've decided to replace the trans & engine mounts with Lemforder equivalents. considering the car as dome 153k, its £120 well spent. I'll also upgrade the dog bone mount with the ECS kit. That will do for now and i'll see how it all plays out once the car has been breathed on by Mr Gower and the brood at R-Tech!!!!

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2021, 09:08:19 pm »
That should give a good balance between vibration and keeping the engine solid.

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2021, 06:26:01 pm »
Not for the power I’m going to which will likely be circa 430hp and similar TQ I’ve followed TR Hamza and his build without a full decat, restricted exhaust made 417hp 425tq. I’ve had long chats with Niki @ R-Tech and those are safe numbers for stock internals

If thats what Niki said, then I'll be happy with that  :happy2:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2021, 08:33:45 pm »

If thats what Niki said, then I'll be happy with that  :happy2: