Make a donation

Author Topic: Dogbone insert - clunking?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9sh0ghmoqllgpr58dq1aq0q3pg&/topic,131272.0.html
Dogbone insert - clunking?
« on: November 01, 2021, 10:04:26 am »
Recently fitted a powerflex black dogbone insert. Get the standard vibration in reverse etc which I was expecting. However seems that over low medium speed bumps I hear quite a nasty sounding clunking from underneath the car, it's not constant just a couple of times each trip. When down a bumpy b Road yesterday though it was pretty damn noisy! Possibly this happens more or only on right bends also. Done about 50 odd miles now so would have thought it would be settled now if required.

Anyone else had similar findings when fitting an insert around the same stiffness as powerflex black?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Dogbone insert - clunking?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 10:50:55 am »
Strange. A dogbone bush shouldn't cause that kind of noise. I would get under there and look for evidence of the torque link contacting the subframe and double check the bolts are all tight.  The big bolt is supposed to be 100nm + 90 degrees iirc, so pretty tight.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9sh0ghmoqllgpr58dq1aq0q3pg&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 06:16:19 pm »
Just been under and looks OK. Roll bar and drop links pass the shake test, everything looks to be attached. Just checked all 3 bolts on dog bone and bolts on the wishbone console and subframe and all still good. After spinning the car around I can definitely confirm it's getting worse, drives fine however just sounds awful.

Now I recall I fitted this and test drove for 10/15 mins and felt fine, stiffer as it should be an no noises. Then parked it up and a few days later tool the front passenger dust shield off for better cooling, put all back together and left it. Next time I drove it started appearing but very rarely. Drove it maybe once or twice and then it went in for its MOT where they mentioned they thought the front passenger top mount was on its way out, I assumed they heard the clunking and just blamed it on that. Also noted was both front shocks were slightly weeping. It really sounds like it's under each the center of the car rather than shocks and top mounts so unsure at this point. Anyone know of some tell tale signs other than it looks f***Ed!

Heres some snaps I took. You can see the lines where I added 90 degrees (maybe just shy but surely not the issue). Note it's 90 degrees from the dot on the washer to the line at the bottom and not the line at the top I'm case anyone thinks I've done it to 180 degrees!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:15:44 pm by Clarkj93 »

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 08:59:05 am »
Sounds to me as possible front ARB drop links if its over bumps.........an easy test is to remove them and go for a gentle drive over the same or similar terrain that you would hear the noise normally.

Mine were similar and looked perfectly fine etc, until a bumpy road appeared and then did the above to discover I needed new ones.....fine since.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 10:56:34 pm »
The drop links did occur to me but thought it was too much of a coincidence. Have since cut them off as they were being  Buggers and fine now. As always the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Offline deltawing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 03:40:52 pm »
Could be your gearbox mount, had it clunk after I fitted the 034 upper and lower dogbone inserts