Make a donation

Author Topic: I bought back my old mk5  (Read 10444 times)

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
I bought back my old mk5
« on: November 10, 2021, 02:34:47 pm »
Hey, my names Chris and I'm from Bangor, Northern Ireland. I've bought myself a project GTI that needs rescuing. I'm new to the forum and so far its been a great help especially the Modification catalogue. I thought I would start a little build thread to document the progress of my car.

Back in 2008 my Dad bought a new mk5 Candy White GTI 5 Door Manual. At the time I had an ep3 Type R and although the Civic was class, I preferred the GTI. So when he came to trading it in after 3 years, I sold the Civic and bought his Golf from him.
I loved the car, I have loads of happy memories with it. Me and wife (then GF) used it to drive all over France, Belgium and Luxembourg. Sadly I only owned the car for 2 years until I sold it for a new M135i. Afterwards I always regretted selling the car, if I'm ever asked which car I've owned and miss the most, I always say the mk5.
So about 3 years ago, I wanted a cheap hot hatch for modifying and for track days. I wondered if I could find it again. So I set up some saved search alerts on Gumtree, Used cars NI and Auto Trader.
Every time a 2008 white mk5 comes up for sale in Northern Ireland, I get an email. And for the last 3 years I've had a few emails, but never mine. I ended up buying a Clio 182 FF and kind of forgot about the search for the Golf.
Until a couple of months ago. I got the usual email, but this time when I looked at the reg, it was my car! I couldn't believe it.
I had to have it back. Unfortunately I didn't have any room for another car so I started getting the Clio ready for sale straight away. The sellers ad was rubbish, 3 blurry pictures, very little information. The seller wanted to swap it for a Diesel. Funnily enough he didn't want to swap it for a track focused Clio  :grin:.
I went to view the car, and was honestly heart broken. It looked like it had spent the last few years in the sea. Every panel had paint chipped off, and rust had crept in. Underneath was even worse. If I was in the market for any old mk5 GTI, I would run a mile. I actually did at first, I didn't make an offer, told the seller thank you but the ad had no mention of rust whatsoever, and wished him good luck.
I went home annoyed and gutted, I guess I was hoping to find the same car I sold 8 years ago or at least something close.

That night I did a 180. Figured I'll only regret it and I won't get the opportunity to buy it again. So I messaged the guy, gave him a cheeky offer and we quickly agreed on a price.  I guess he soon realised his valuation of the car didn't reflect the condition.

So now I am the owner, again, of a 2008 mk5 Candy White Golf GTI Manual.

Plans for the car is basically a restoration of the body work, and to increase power (stage 2 for now) and handling to something that is exciting on the track.

The car is booked in for a respray in March 2022 and until then I'm going to get to work on everything else.

So far I've replaced a couple of bits of interior trim and had the wheels refurbished. I've managed to clean up a good bit of the rust with touch up paint.
Plans for the car is to go Stage 2 for now and maybe pushing to a K04 conversion stage 3 maybe later down the line.

I'm in the process of getting as much new parts together before it goes to the work shop.
So far the parts I've bought are;
A pair of used S3 front brakes
VBT hooked discs all round, Ferodo performance pads.
Darkside upgraded intercooler.
Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars
Whiteline anti lift kit
KW V2 Coilovers
Helix organic clutch kit
Vibratechnics engine mount

Things I still plan to get bought asap;
A 3' power valve turbo back exhaust from @Powervalve Nige if he can ship to Northern Ireland
A Revo intake and tune (R-Tech unfortunately involves a Ferry ride for me)

Obviously I'm new to the forum and in some ways mk5's in general so I need some help and guidance from some of the guys with loads of mk5 experience when it comes to the underside. I'll share some pictures of the state of it, but I think everything will have to be replaced or refurbished. I understand some of Passat b6 parts are considered a good option? Basically I'm not sure where to start with it. If there's any links to anyone elses projects who have to do similar jobs, that would be appreciated.

Any other advice or obvious things I should be doing while the cars at the mechanics then let me now.  :happy2:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4vehakp82d4v103lmr9tf3ua2j&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: I bought back my old mk5
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 06:23:32 pm »
Cool story behind this one! Look forward to seeing you restore it to as you remember and better!

I'm still at early stages on mods for mine but one of best things I've done was installing mk2 audi tt alloy control arms and bushes, allows for adjustable camber, setting that at -2 degrees at the front even on oem worn out suspension felt worlds apart than the standard setup I had. At only 80 quid 2nd hand it was also one of the cheapest mods... if you don't count the cost of install as I chickened out doing it myself incase I snapped a bolt in the subframe  :grin:

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 07:01:39 pm »
Thanks! I’ll look into the TT control arms. Is it all mk2 TT’s that fit or just the TFSI ones?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4vehakp82d4v103lmr9tf3ua2j&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 07:03:04 pm »
From my knowledge it is all from the mk2, mine are from a 3.2 v6 quattro for example.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 07:30:48 pm »
Excellent read and glad you bought it back..
Mod wise
Lowering either on springs or coil overs
Front console bushes
Poly bushing the arms
S3/r32 rear brakes

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 11:12:38 am »
Welcome and a nice back story too  :happy2:

I keep looking out my old Lupo GTI, as miss that little pocket rocket loads
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 08:17:27 pm »
Obviously I'm new to the forum and in some ways mk5's in general so I need some help and guidance from some of the guys with loads of mk5 experience when it comes to the underside. I'll share some pictures of the state of it, but I think everything will have to be replaced or refurbished. I understand some of Passat b6 parts are considered a good option? Basically I'm not sure where to start with it. If there's any links to anyone elses projects who have to do similar jobs, that would be appreciated.

Great story  - personally I cant think of any of my old cars I would want back - well maybe one - especially considering the state that I leave them in!

Sounds like quite a shopping list - be aware that the rust proofing on whiteline ARB's isn't great
Edit: Plus I always feel skeptical on the prices of darkside stuff, does this intercooler look familiar: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32403463768.html
If your feeling brave this is a Wagner tuning clone: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000836496073.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.1.657f7cc7uBBBsc - just bin the hose clamps.

B6 alloy hubs get great reviews - big weight saving over original iron ones.
What about engine servicing, has that been kept up to date?

My Mk5 was from Aberdeen - everything under the car was super crusty - especially rear suspension and subframe - so bad I ended up getting an entire used rear axle and poly bushed it.
As potentially starting a "Rust-off" -I offer blind my rear ARB bracket:

Yes - fantastic cars

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:36:51 pm by LC5F »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 12:20:28 pm »
That rust reminds me of someone....

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 11:19:27 pm »

Great story  - personally I cant think of any of my old cars I would want back - well maybe one - especially considering the state that I leave them in!

Sounds like quite a shopping list - be aware that the rust proofing on whiteline ARB's isn't great
Edit: Plus I always feel skeptical on the prices of darkside stuff, does this intercooler look familiar: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32403463768.html
If your feeling brave this is a Wagner tuning clone: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000836496073.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.1.657f7cc7uBBBsc - just bin the hose clamps.

B6 alloy hubs get great reviews - big weight saving over original iron ones.
What about engine servicing, has that been kept up to date?

My Mk5 was from Aberdeen - everything under the car was super crusty - especially rear suspension and subframe - so bad I ended up getting an entire used rear axle and poly bushed it.
As potentially starting a "Rust-off" -I offer blind my rear ARB bracket:

Yes - fantastic cars

I had a good look at the intercooler, I have no idea if its an Alibaba special. It has Darkside written on the front and on the top. So hopefully not.
As far as servicing goes it been kept up to date well. It had the timing belt changed over 50k miles ago so I should probably get that done while its at the mechanics. I will also get an oil change, brake fluid change, gearbox oil change when the clutch is being changed, fluid change when the intercooler goes in. Is there anything else I should be doing on a 110k mile car?

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 01:48:22 pm »
It’s awesome that you’ve bought back your old car. Such a shame that it’s got into the state it is but hopefully when you’ve finished with it it should be good as new.
Nearly all my old car just went straight to the scrap heap!

Certainly is rusty...
Other thing to think of at that mileage is the cam chain, thermostat and potentially the VVT gear.

That intercooler is genuine BTW, Darkside are just round the corner from me.

Getting too old for this...

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 03:57:29 pm »
Cool thanks! I’ll look into the other stuff as well.

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 12:47:33 am »
So a bit of an update. First up I tackled the rust underneath. Luckily my mechanic is really sound and left me a set of keys one weekend and let me have a go at tackling the rust in his workshop. When he saw the mess I made, he might of regretted it. :joy:

I had no idea what I was doing, but basically, grind off all the rust, some primer, white stone-chip, then some Candy white. How hard could it be? Really hard. Any bits I couldn't reach, I sprayed with rust converter before I covered it. Fingers crossed it keeps the rust away in the future.

Rear subframe looked like it was brought up from the Titanic. Got another from a scrap yard which was then sandblasted and powder-coated.

I purchased an upgraded fuel pump from Awesome GTI, a new intake from REVO and a K04 turbo kit from Facebook marketplace. Apparently the turbo has been rebuilt in the last year. So should get me 300+bhp easy enough. The car is currently at Autotune NI having the turbo fitted, looking forward to seeing it on the Dyno!

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 12:52:24 am »
Not sure why all the photos have been shuffled into a random order. Though you get the idea.

After the K04 and tune is completed, I'm going to start to tackle the rust on the body work.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 09:36:20 am »
Nice update - great work!

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0