Make a donation

Author Topic: I bought back my old mk5  (Read 10956 times)

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
Re: I bought back my old mk5
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2022, 07:00:17 pm »
Ouch! :surprised:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2022, 06:15:11 pm »
Hmmmm, and that's why I would steer people away from uprated clutches.

I've had pedal to floor because of them twice now, leaving me stuck in heavy traffic to push it off the road.  First time the delay valve burst, and second time the bleeder block blew.  All because of the ridiculous spring rates of the aftermarket pressure plates.

Crank thrust bearing destruction is the worst case scenario but what can help reduce the risk of that happening is:

Not cranking the engine over with the clutch down.
Not holding the car in traffic with the clutch down.
Regular oil changes.
Try and avoid heavy traffic, if you can.

My advice is stick to stage 1 with a fresh stock clutch. If you want max power and torque, stick to the DSG cars.

The thrust washers in this engine are lame anyway, and this issue can happen on standard engines as well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 06:18:34 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2022, 03:04:48 pm »
Glad to see you have kept your patience with the Golf.
I watch the Decimal tenths YT vids as well -that's quite a mission to get over to Newcastle from NI -what are the guys like to deal with?

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2022, 11:15:25 pm »
Glad to see you have kept your patience with the Golf.
I watch the Decimal tenths YT vids as well -that's quite a mission to get over to Newcastle from NI -what are the guys like to deal with?

So far, so good. I'll give an update once I pick the car up and put it through it paces.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2022, 09:29:55 am »
Wow, that is lots of broken things.

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2023, 11:34:42 pm »
I picked up the car from Decimal Tenths at the end of January. One of the guys picked me up from the airport in my Golf, quick run to their workshop to go through everything that was done, including photos etc and I was on my way.

The replacement engine got the full treatment, heres a list of everything;
New timing Belt
New water pump
New cam chain
New cam chain tensioner
New VVT rings
New VVT gasket
New rocker cover gasket
New cam bolts and follower
New thermostat
New oil pickup and seal
New rear main oil seal
Pro-race thrust bearing upgrade
Walnut blasting carbon clean
Injector test
VIS balance shaft delete
Sump clean
New fuel filter
Air-con re-gas
New S3 LUK DMF and bolts
Slave cylinder
Audi TTRS low pressure fuel pump
New air-con radiator
Darkside short shifter kit fitted
Every upgrade from old engine and full K04 kit fitted
Stage 2 Dyno remap

The remap they put on the car was a bit different from the old remap from Autotune. The new one is 373bhp and 378ft/lb. The biggest difference is the midrange. It feels like its always on full boost and actually takes a bit of getting used to in order to drive smoothly. It's easy to spin the wheels in 3rd gear 😂. It's gonna be great once it's on the track.

I bought a set of S3 wheels from someone local for track days. On the one and only track day last year I managed to buckle 2 PS4 tyres (didn't even know that was a thing). I don't fancy doing that everytime, so a seperate set of wheels made sense. They came with 2 Pirelli's and 2 budget tyres, I plan to do 1 or 2 track days on these and then upgrade to a set of Toyo r888r's once they're done.

I also had some brake wobble and a knock coming from the front left of the car. Turns out the new Vagbremtechnic front discs had warped after one track day. So I got a new set of EBC discs which feel so much better.
A new set upgraded ECS top mounts have also been fitted when trying to fix the knock. They definitely make the ride a bit better.

Last week I've had the traction control, ABS and handbrake warning lights coming on. Codes indicate a faulty ABS pump. I managed to get a used one from a bloke on Facebook marketplace for £50. VAG World quoted me £450 plus delivery. 😂
I won't get it fitted for a couple of weeks though, as the cars going off to finally going to get the rust sorted this week. It's going to a local body repair shop that I've never used before, so fingers crossed they do a good job and the Golf will finally look as good as it drives!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mrfhsjp5gg0ddfh4ipd4elh4e7&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2023, 11:40:25 pm »
Buckled tyres? Do you mean buckled wheels? Not heard of buckled tyres yet :surprised:

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2023, 12:51:39 am »
Buckled tyres? Do you mean buckled wheels? Not heard of buckled tyres yet :surprised:

Yeah, it’s also called being “out of round” tyres, apparently 2 of my tyres were egg shaped. 😂

I think it was from the tyres getting really hot on the track and me lowering the PSI on them like I would with track day tyres.
I locked up a couple of times on the track day so I thought I had flat spots. When driving slowly on a really smooth road you could hear the tyres juddering. I went to have them replaced anyway and the tyre fitter told me it was because of 2 buckled tyres.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mrfhsjp5gg0ddfh4ipd4elh4e7&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2023, 07:33:38 am »
Ah makes sense if there were some flat spots! Not been able to lock up mine... with stickier tyres I find the tyres can "under rotate" which helps braking anyway but anymore than that and abs comes in