Make a donation

Author Topic: New brakes  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Eighteen88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
New brakes
« on: November 11, 2021, 06:25:35 am »
I’m looking for some advice on a new set of brakes both front & rear (disc & pads)
Car is sitting at 305bhp and I’ve no plans on increasing this and it won’t be used for track days just normal driving (is that possible in a GTI?) what’s the pros & cons of drilled or grooved disc?

Thanks I’m advance.
Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: New brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 03:52:13 pm »
OEM stuff is fine for road use, but if you want a little extra bite, VAG BremTechnik J hook discs and Ferodo DS2500 (or Mintex 1144) are worthy of a gander.

The reason I like OEM is because you know what you're getting and it's predictable, which is exactly what you need with brakes.  Some aftermarket compounds can feel a bit weird when you least expect it but the above pads are pretty consistent, except when it's really cold.  Bite is delayed somewhat compared to stock.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Eighteen88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 10:51:20 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my request for help.
However I’d already ordered my new set up from awesome GTi.

Went for a Tarox Discs (F2000) & Pads.
Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline Eighteen88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 10:17:37 am »
OEM stuff is fine for road use, but if you want a little extra bite, VAG BremTechnik J hook discs and Ferodo DS2500 (or Mintex 1144) are worthy of a gander.

The reason I like OEM is because you know what you're getting and it's predictable, which is exactly what you need with brakes.  Some aftermarket compounds can feel a bit weird when you least expect it but the above pads are pretty consistent, except when it's really cold.  Bite is delayed somewhat compared to stock.

Awesome have been in touch at they’re having a supply issue with getting the front pads I ordered can’t guarantee they’ll be delivered before Christmas, I’ve got the car booked in for getting the work done end of next week so I’ve changed the order and went for your recommendation the guys at Awesome also recommended this set up.

:happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 12:51:48 pm »
Good stuff, let us know how you get on with them  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Eighteen88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 04:32:37 pm »
Good stuff, let us know how you get on with them  :happy2:

Yeah will do bud, car won’t be getting used much really during the winter it’ll be garaged until the spring and just getting a run round the block every now and again.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:44:30 am by Eighteen88 »