Make a donation

Author Topic: Upgrades needed, no idea where to start.  (Read 749 times)

Offline Sam_786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Upgrades needed, no idea where to start.
« on: November 14, 2021, 11:40:42 pm »
Hi All,

Firstly, I’ve purchased a used  Intercooler for my MK5 GTI 2006/07 BWA which has come from a S3 8P. Seller told me he was replacing his for an airtec Intercooler so I thought eh why not seems legitimate enough (maybe naively).

The part number for the Intercooler is 1k0145803be. Will this fit my car?

After I sort out the issue with my lost Locking wheel nut, I intend on fitting a Racingline Spring and dampener kit. To be shortly followed by either the super pro or white line anti-lift kit.

The car has Stage 1 Revo on the engine and DSG so far. For brakes I’m going to go with replacing the standard discs and calipers with Brembo and pads with EBC red stuff unless there are good alternatives for the price?

The current DV revision D is holding up well so I think I might stick with it and monitor instead of upgrading to DV+. I’d say that I haven’t noticed a boost leak but then again I don’t really know what I’m looking for in order to diagnose this?

These are some of the upgrades I’m considering so I thought it may be worthwhile to get some advice prior to making any jumps from you ever helpful folk so my two questions are:

What do you make of the proposed upgrades?
What order would you personally do them in?

As ever I look forward to any advice!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qs1bde8bgqdc3q0frlf2t1ngbc&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Upgrades needed, no idea where to start.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 12:40:02 am »
I lost my locking wheel nut the other day. Turned out a spline/triple square bit works just as well! Give it a go you may get lucky like me. Sounds like some good oem+ style upgrades.

I would personally swap the DV for latest revision G, mine was a G already and looked in great condition but after swapping it definitely noticed a difference in power and/or delivery. I've not heard great things about the DV+.. I hear they aren't aren't fit and forget item and do fail and all tuners I've come across all say stick with the latest revision G.

Offline Sam_786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 06:19:13 pm »
@Clarkj93 Thanks mate. Don’t have the tools myself so it’s going to cost me £60 including replacements which isn’t too bad. After doing some more research I think I’ll stick with the Rev G moving forward.

A question to you and the rest of the forum remains however. Will the Intercooler I have purchased fit as intended onto my MK5 GTI?

My MK5 is 06. The person who I bought it from had it removed from their S3 8P. I assume if the S3 was between the years 04 - 09 it would be a straight swap. Is it the same therefore for a S3 8P 09- or a MK6 GTI/R?

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 07:02:33 pm »
It will fit but you may require the pipe work from an S3, or modify the existing pipes.

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=45051.0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 07:15:08 pm by Sean_ED30 »

Offline Sam_786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 07:32:09 pm »

Just attached some pictures of the Intercooler I’ve bought and what it came with. The only thing I’m worried about is whether the Intercooler will provide the sufficient function for my engine. It looks like it measured as 40-42mm depth which  I think is what I need for when I go for more power.

I am admittedly a Noob in this field, just need to know if it will do what I need it to do  :happy2:

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 08:36:50 pm »
You shouldn’t have a problem fitting if you have the pipes so all good there. Does one of the pipes have a metal coupler in the end ?  The S3 cooler is a popular upgrade for mk5 golf’s as it’s thicker than the standard one on our car’s. Power wise it’s good for up to 350 ish bhp.