Make a donation

Author Topic: Does the gearbox code matter?  (Read 966 times)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Does the gearbox code matter?
« on: November 19, 2021, 10:58:42 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a second hand box and getting it refurbed. Just wondering if there's any particular manual I need? Car is an 05 GTI, put a BWA in there.

Mine is on 190k and could do with replacing.

What other bits do people suggest doing at the same time? Any particular short shifters for example?

Cheers 👍

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Does the gearbox code matter?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 11:03:52 am »
Definitely matters if you throw a diesel box in a petrol - will work but diesel red line is 6k

@Pudding replaced the one on his ED30 with a 6 speed from a Mk6 reported nicer ratios and improved gear change- hopefully he can confirm the details.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 01:03:50 pm »
Yeah I just put a newer gearbox in from ebay as it's cheaper than rebuilding the existing one.  My original one had 155K on it and was getting a bit ropey. Clunky shifts and noisy.

I went with a 2011 Scirocco 2.0 TSI box, but any 2.0 petrol gearbox will work fine.  MK6 GTI, Rocco TSI, Rocco R etc etc.  Picked it up for £300ish with 36K miles on it, or somewhere around that.  It certainly feels like new with very slick shifts  :smiley:

I did research all the possible iterations of 02Q and it fried my brain, so just took a punt on the Rocco one and it worked out fine  :happy2:  Gear ratios feel spot on.

Don't need any additional hardware, it bolts right in  :happy2:  You might need to play around with the shift relay bits and bobs as there are minor differences there compared to MK5, but at worst it's just a case of getting the right cable ends from VW.  There's about 3 different pin sizes available. 8mm, 9mm, and 10mm iirc.  Mine needed the big plastic block style cable end.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 02:24:43 pm »
Many thanks! @Pudding I saw your post so think I'll just do that. My current engine came from an EOS so may as well get the gearbox from something else for a change  :grin:

Mine is very clunky, occasionally can't get reverse and due to being clunky, pretty sure I've sheared a gear or two when it wouldn't engage at speed.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 03:35:53 pm »
Yeah why not!  VAG cars all use the same parts anyway!

The bearings get a bit sloppy and syncros get a bit tired.  At that point it's far, far cheaper (and better) to just throw a newer used gearbox in  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D