Make a donation

Author Topic: Odd steering/crap handling  (Read 2957 times)

Offline swansem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Odd steering/crap handling
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 10:21:57 pm »
so now I'm pretty sure my coil overs are blown....

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 08:40:56 am »
Borked dampers can certainly cause numb steering and sh1te handling.  Wasn't going to go down that avenue as I assumed they were new. Are they H&R comforts?  Can't see the pics as I'm at work.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline swansem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 02:21:27 pm »
Borked dampers can certainly cause numb steering and sh1te handling.  Wasn't going to go down that avenue as I assumed they were new. Are they H&R comforts?  Can't see the pics as I'm at work.

they're H&R Ultra Lows, I've had them on for 1 year, I reached out to them with the pics and this is what they replied: "This grease is nothing to worry about, residual is somewhat common. I would get some brake parts cleaner and rinse it out and wipe it clean. Drive for a while and keep an eye on it. Let me know if things worsen, we can look into it further." 

I did tell them the grease seems to be coming out of the seals, but they’re saying it’s normal 😐 🤷🏽‍♂️
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:28:14 pm by swansem »

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 06:24:38 pm »
If your seals were blown it would be oil - but that is dependant on there still being oil in there.
Bounce test on the suspect corner should reveal if it is still damping.

Offline swansem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 07:00:05 pm »
If your seals were blown it would be oil - but that is dependant on there still being oil in there.
Bounce test on the suspect corner should reveal if it is still damping.

I could be wrong but I've heard that test is only good when the shocks/struts are totally shot....if it's a gradual deterioration, like feeling the performance of the shocks going down, it doesn't really tell you much, especially on monotube struts, the shocks/struts could be leaking fluid/gas and not bounce at all.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 11:07:42 am »
The bounce test was from the 1980s when cars had yoghurt for suspension.  On cars with coilovers, you can barely move it due to the spring rates, especially at the front. 

Seems strange for grease to still be hanging around on the struts after a year, but if that's what H&R reckon, fair enough!

Again, with uprated suspension, you can't really tell if the dampers are shot unless they are relieved from the car and pushed down by hand.  If they don't spring back up, they're pooped.

Offline swansem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2022, 12:28:26 am »
Hey guys, I know it’s been a while but recently I decided to swap my coilovers, after taking the old ones out I took some new photos, both front struts were covered in oil, under the dust boots and around the seals close to the threads there was oil/fluid. I have spoken to H&R and they say that’s normal for there to be some residual and if they were actually leaking oil they would be doing so through a weep hole at the very bottom of the unit since these are inverted monotube struts. Has anyone here who’s had these type of coils before seen anything like this?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:30:14 am by swansem »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2022, 12:06:50 pm »
I'll look at the pics later but I had H&R comforts on my Corrado many moons ago, and they blew after only 2 years' use.  I knew something wasn't right as the ride became very crashy, torque steer got worse, steering twitch got worse, tramlining got worse etc etc.  Just nasty and vague to drive in general.  Sure enough, once removed for inspection, they were wet with oil.

I don't know if they still are, but H&Rs monotubes were actually Bilstein B14s with their own springs. 

I hate to say it, but monotubes aren't the longest lasting of dampers, but in any case..... there should never be oil leaking from a damper, not from any part of it.  Weep hole at the bottom?  WTF??? It's not a water pump with a bearing failure relief hole. Oil is the guts of a damper. It's definitely not normal to leak it away!

Anyway, if I confirm your pictures are the same as mine were later on, they've definitely blown.  It sounds like they're fobbing you off.

Offline swansem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2022, 02:46:30 pm »
I'll look at the pics later but I had H&R comforts on my Corrado many moons ago, and they blew after only 2 years' use.  I knew something wasn't right as the ride became very crashy, torque steer got worse, steering twitch got worse, tramlining got worse etc etc.  Just nasty and vague to drive in general.  Sure enough, once removed for inspection, they were wet with oil.

I don't know if they still are, but H&Rs monotubes were actually Bilstein B14s with their own springs. 

I hate to say it, but monotubes aren't the longest lasting of dampers, but in any case..... there should never be oil leaking from a damper, not from any part of it.  Weep hole at the bottom?  WTF??? It's not a water pump with a bearing failure relief hole. Oil is the guts of a damper. It's definitely not normal to leak it away!

Anyway, if I confirm your pictures are the same as mine were later on, they've definitely blown.  It sounds like they're fobbing you off.

yeah I've found it odd too, supposedly...this is where they would be leaking from if they were defective according to H&R: 

since the anatomy of the strut is inverted to that of a standard monotube, the shock absorber is placed downward, hence the pressure is generated towards the bottom.

And yes, these are Bilstein. Maybe I should contact them instead...see what they say???

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2022, 03:54:03 pm »
Yeah Bilstein would know for sure, but sounds strange.  I've used in the past.....H&Rs, B16s, Ohlins DFV and not seen a special blow off hole on any of them!

That explanation just doesn't sit right with me as it implies the damper is designed to fail, and indeed expected to.....in some sudden and catastrophic way.  Very odd.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2022, 05:25:04 pm »
Just seen the pics and yep, that is exactly what my H&Rs looked like when they went.  As they were out of warranty, I got the middle finger from H&R.

I just don't think European suspension kits can handle our crappy roads.  2 years (50K miles) out of H&Rs, same for B16s, and 2.5 years (30K miles) from the Ohlins.  The Ohlins did at least retain their oil and gas, but the nylon sleeves went, causing the chrome plating to chip off the damper rods  :doh:
My old KW V3s, whilst not monotubes lasted well now I remember.

I might get a UK brand to come up with something more suited to our roads, such as Leda, GAZ or Nitron. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:26:42 pm by Pudding »