Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear number plate light hell! Help please!  (Read 675 times)

Offline mstirlz05

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Rear number plate light hell! Help please!
« on: November 29, 2021, 03:32:33 pm »
Hi folks.
Feel like I'm losing the will to live just because I noticed a rear number plate bulb was out. Firstly, thought I'd change the standards to led. Bought a cheap pair off ebay along with some led sidelights. The sidelights worked but the plate lights didnt. I passed it off as dud bulbs so went out and got the standard 12v 5w bulbs to find that neither then worked and my rear wiper has stopped! I thought maybe the cheap LEDs blew the fuse but apparently there is no fuse for them and even so I checked all fuses and all were ok.
Further reading up prompted me to check the boot harness in case the wiring broke. It had. I ordered a replacement harness, fitted it, tested, still nothing, still no rear wiper either.
I am not sure where to go next. Is it possible that the relay has faulted? I've done the obvious checks on the wiring and plug to the lights and all is ok.
Due to the fact it's now past its mot I cannot take it anywhere for diagnostics.
Does anyone here have any advice on this? It's so annoying for such a small thing.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Rear number plate light hell! Help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 07:38:51 pm »
Wiper is likely to be broken wire at hinge - very common issue, so common there are dedicated kits.

I trust you are aware LED bulbs will only work one way - Have you tried flipping the bulb over?

Offline mstirlz05

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:41:27 pm »
The whole boot harness has been changed, including the area that goes through the boot. In terms of bulbs I've tried original replacement oem, aftermarket led with resistors, oem holders and bulbs, still none work.

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 01:18:42 pm »
Just one bulb? Not both?
Getting too old for this...