Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 872 times)

Offline qu4yl3

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Engine noise
« on: January 09, 2022, 12:17:22 pm »
I have a 2008 gti dsg with a BWA engine it has been sat up for a few days waiting for a new windscreen to get sorted so we started it up to drop it to get the window sorted checked all the oil and water etc! All good drove it maybe a mile then the thing cut out never cut out before since I’ve owned it under load it was good but as soon we took the load off it cut out but then started straight up no issues but done similar things but this time when it cut out it made a horrible rattle. So we got it back to the workshop started up and it was definitely chain rattle. I pulled the cam chain cover off it and 2 of the 3 camshaft adjuster seals were broken in the bottom of the cam chain cover … I have a cam chain tensioner etc to do the job but no seal … will this cause any issues with the oil feed getting to the tensioner or am I going to have to do a bit more digging .. any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 02:07:07 pm »
You need the seals installed to control VVT - don't run the engine without.
Genuine ones are over £40 - AKS list them https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/345-genuine-camshaft-adjuster-housing-seal-set.html
But personally, I fitted aftermarket ones back in August, so far done 2k miles on these that are nearly half the price, seem to recall they were delivered quickly. : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333932651192

Old ones were very brittle, new a lot easier to expand and fit - install them outermost first with lots of oil/lube - this makes it easier to slide the next one over.
Aparently these are very easily damaged as the cover gets pulled off - so be prepared that this may not be the only issue you have.

Offline qu4yl3

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 02:40:35 pm »
I’ve just ordered some genuine seals mate was strange tho because It’s never had any noises prior to being parked up for a few days then this noise occurred ! I definitely think it’s oil feed/pressure related if you Rev it over 1000rpm noise goes away was just curious weather it would affect the feed to the cam chain tensioner