Make a donation

Author Topic: Alignment options ?  (Read 871 times)

Offline 8lytton

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Alignment options ?
« on: December 15, 2021, 07:07:34 pm »
Hi Guys,
Just fitted new B4 shocks, new standard springs, top mounts front and rear control arms and links / bushes - pretty much refreshed most suspension parts that wear. Feels much better now after 84k miles on (14 years old) original suspension.

Question is - what alignment options are there before I head to the Alignment garage Friday ?

I think you can adjust front toe and rear camber - but that's it, although you can get balljoints for front that allow negative camber.... also anti lift kits that increase front castor ..

Any views appreciated or options / set ups for toe and camber ?  An improvement in steering feel would be by my only criticism of the original car as steering always felt too light too me and lacking in feel. Rest of car handling was always generally good and my car a daily driver (not track toy) so comfort also a priority.

thks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Alignment options ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 10:49:00 am »
You can do camber and toe at the rear, but just toe at the front.

Stock alignment is zero toe and -0.55 camber front, -1.2ish camber at the rear.   That works well enough for most folk. 

The camber ball joints and ALKs don't always give the claimed increase in angle.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline 8lytton

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:18:44 pm »
Many Thanks Pudding

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 09:18:30 am »
What’s the ride height like? I’ve bought B4’s and the Bilstein springs as well and am a little bit worried about it looking like a 4x4...
Getting too old for this...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 03:04:00 pm »
I've bought some B4s as well.  I changed jobs recently and the new route has appalling roads, so I'm softening things off a bit.

I was also concerned about OEM or aftermarket equivalent springs giving a terrible ride height, so instead I opted for non-GTI H&R springs.  Part no. 29261-2.

They only lower a GTI approx 10mm, if that, and with no rear rake, which I hate.  And being non-GTI spec, they shouldn't be as harsh as GTI spec springs either.  I'm hoping the combo will work out well.  The whole lot was only £366ish, so quite a good value setup if it works out.  I was going to go for B6 dampers but they can be a bit harsh on some surfaces.....and they're over 3x the price of the B4.

Pics of them fitted on this chap's car, which looks spot on for my tastes - https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40779.0
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:09:44 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D