Make a donation

Author Topic: Water leak boot  (Read 917 times)

Offline Callum.k2001

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Water leak boot
« on: December 30, 2021, 08:03:49 pm »
Hi has anyone had an issue with a rain leak in their boot? Opened it up today and there was a big puddle in the left corner closest to the rear of the car, never seen it before but it seems to be coming through the vent in the top left of the boot and the pillar above is saturated

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
Re: Water leak boot
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 10:38:53 pm »
Rear lights are prone to leaking and can usually be sorted by removing and cleaning around the seal your leak seem higher up and the roof Ariel base seal would be worth checking first they rot out

Rob

Offline Callum.k2001

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 11:31:09 pm »
Thanks rob, digging deeper into it my rear pillar was very wet also around the rear left window so my guess is either the rear window or the rear sunroof drain which is a big pain, will be back on it tomorrow as the dehumidifier is in there, pulled out the spare wheel to find the Atlantic Ocean in the bottom of the boot so it’s been ongoing I just haven’t known about it

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 12:44:40 am »
Didn’t think about the sun roof a blocked drain is a good shout out the roof pour some warm water in that corner and see if it drains out on the floor if not bike cable inner works well solder the end first to stop it fraying

Rob

Offline Callum.k2001

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 07:13:48 am »
Thank rob I’ll check that over today as I did put a bit of water down and it wasn’t draining, brake cable sounds like a good idea

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 11:06:54 am »
You might need to pull the rear quarter trim and partially drop the headlining to check the drain pipe hasn't detached itself from the sunroof subframe, or split. 

They drain out below the tail lights, behind the bumper, so it seems likely the suspect area is where the pipe attaches to the subframe.

Anything involving trim removal will require pre-arming yourself with replacement clips, otherwise the removed trims will rattle forever more.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D