Make a donation

Author Topic: Noise on start up/idle Mk5 GTI 2005  (Read 797 times)

Offline Osd0212

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Noise on start up/idle Mk5 GTI 2005
« on: December 31, 2021, 07:27:44 am »
Morning all

I have a 138k miles mk5 golf gti 2L turbo FSI, was just wondering if anyone has come across this noise before! It sounds like it’s coming from camshaft area. I’ve checked the cam follower and the HPFP piston and the love that the cam follower sits on the cam all look okay no signs of wear. Follower was replaced around 5k miles ago. It also had a cam belt about 8 months ago by previous owner. I’ve checked the tension of the belt through the cam belt cover and seems to be at a correct teneion. The noise has started to get a lot of late and decided I should probably start to investigate haha! Also the vehicle hasn’t really idled very well since I owned the vehicle I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it

I’ve also had an intermittent oil pressure light come on, on longer journeys. However I’m not sure that these problems are related but would appreciate any input on that problem too!

I shall attach some videos of the rattle noise below!

eature=share

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Noise on start up/idle Mk5 GTI 2005
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 04:19:38 pm »
It's hard to pin-point the sound on a youtube video but at 138K, it could be a worn cam chain if it's never been replaced. 

I would buy a cheap stethoscope from Amazon and probe the chain cover with it, which will confirm it.

Another common noise is dual mass flywheel rattle, but again, it's difficult to isolate that on a video with all the other noises going on.

But at a basic level, if the engine sounds like a diesel inside the car (windows up, climate off) it's the chain.  If there's a deeper rumbling/chuntering/clattering noise at feet level (passenger side), that's the DMF.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 04:21:17 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D