Make a donation

Poll

Will my car be written off?

Will be written off
1 (100%)
Won't be written off
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Will my car be written off?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Dxbz410

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Will my car be written off?
« on: January 01, 2022, 07:14:20 pm »
Hi, my neighbour hit my car while it was on my drive. I have a 2006 Golf GTI 5 door DSG on 77k Miles. It has been valued at £6-£6.2k on the Admiral valuation calculator. The repair costs will total £3819, the question I have is will my car get written off? The Admiral representative said that they usually write off cars when the cost to repair is 50-60% of the market value of the vehicle. I'm claiming through the third party who is also with Admiral if that makes a difference. I fear they may be some mechanical damage undetected. I fear that they will try to undervalue my car and value it below the £6-£6.2k shown on the Admiral calculator. I have attached some images of the damage.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9sh0ghmoqllgpr58dq1aq0q3pg&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Will my car be written off?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 07:25:22 pm »
I've seen cars get written off for less thar are worth more so I'd imagine they will want to write it off. I bet the place giving that quote is a firm used to ripping off insurers so make up ridiculous figures. If its just bumpers we'll you can get some 2nd hand ones in good nick for a couple hundred quid on ebay. It looks a big enough thud to do a bit more than just ruin the bumpers presuming it knocked over those bricks but doesn't look enough to do any serious or expensive damage, but I've not seen the car nor am I an expert just some guy with an opinion :grin:

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 08:33:46 pm »
Seen these get written off for a dented wing , it’s just the way it is with older cars they’d rather have them off the roads.

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 09:39:20 pm »
Game over imo

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 12:38:49 pm »
I would be getting 2 used bumpers off ebay for sure. Its only a car not a baby  :signLOL:

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 01:31:56 pm »
This -
I would be getting 2 used bumpers off ebay for sure. Its only a car not a baby  :signLOL:

Common colour, shouldn't be too hard to find good used ones.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 11:13:37 pm »
As I thought on your other thread........LOL.....will probably write it off?
But, is it still drivable at the moment, if so take it to a garage that knows about these cars and put it on a ramp to see if there's more damage than it seems.
If not, buy it back or get paid out for the repairs from the 3rd party then buy 2 x 2nd hand bumpers.

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 04:06:43 pm »
Looks like probably repairable with second hand bumpers.  If claiming off another insurer perhaps get payout and buy it back.

I had bad dent in rear quarter panel (hit and run while parked up so no 3rd party to claim from).  VW authorised repairshop quoted quoted £ 5500 plus VAT which would have been write off.   Local independent beat out dent and repainted for £700. Did great job can't see anything now.