Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil additives, engine and gearbox  (Read 1041 times)

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Oil additives, engine and gearbox
« on: January 03, 2022, 05:41:59 pm »
Does anybody have any real world experience to share?

I rate the liqui moly injector cleaner very highly and was interested in considering their oil additives for both engine and gearbox, or indeed other brands. Slick 50 is a blast from the past and used to sponsor a GTi racing series but might still be good?!?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Oil additives, engine and gearbox
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 08:43:44 pm »
Only additive I ever use is a ZDDP additive in my stupidly tuned kart engine. Never in a TFSI

Save the money, change the oil twice as often. Gearbox oil - just change it once for genuine oil - that'll last you many years
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 07:31:37 am »
I have used LM in the past to quieten lifters on a Mercedes engine. I thought it had made a difference but the ticking that had originally concerned me turned out to be an evap valve.

My conclusion so far for the GTI is exactly like the post above. One change of gearbox oil and just change engine oil more often. With the issues with sludging on the TFSI I would only want to clean an engine with frequent changes rather than use additives. Many of the products by companies like LM will dislodge blockages/hardened deposits and that might be a problem for your oil pickup.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 09:34:25 am »
Only additive I ever use is a ZDDP additive in my stupidly tuned kart engine. Never in a TFSI

Save the money, change the oil twice as often. Gearbox oil - just change it once for genuine oil - that'll last you many years

Agree about frequent oil changes - use millers nt every year / 3k miles since new and the gearbox last had oem oil 5 years / 15k miles ago. In a nutshell, I feel the shift could still be improved. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 669
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 09:42:53 am »
Switching to DSG is the only way to improve the crappy gearbox situation with manual GTIs.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D