Make a donation

Author Topic: Rumbling noise when driving right but goes away when clutch depressed  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Momosan

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Hello new user, I own a mk5 golf 1.9tdi (and a mk2 that's rotting in the garage)

I have had a persistent issue I've been trying to track down for a while but cant find any info.

When I turn right the car makes a rumbling sound, I initially put it down to a bearing so changed that and put a new CV on the passenger side front and then the rear bearing, also changed my gearbox oil. Noise is still there! Then one night by chance I took the car out of gear or depressed the clutch while going right and the noise just disappears?

Anyone dealt with this issue and have any clue?

Car is stock mechanically apart from some 17 inch audi TT wheels

Thanks in advance

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Rumbling noise when driving right but goes away when clutch depressed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 10:26:04 am »
I think this would normally indicate the clutch release bearing is on it's way out, no idea about why it would do it when turning right though.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 11:06:35 am »
Is it a BKD engine?  I think at a certain model year, some of them had driveshaft extensions on the driver's side to make both sides 'equal length', to help with torque steer.

There's a support bearing bolted to the block which can wear and cause rumbles.

Only mentioning this as a friend's B6 Passat TDI (based on MK5) made a similar vibration/noise turning right, which turned out to be the above.  Not sure if MK5s ever got that mod though.  If you have a long and a short shaft like the GTI, then forget that  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Momosan

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:10:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, it is a BXE engine, yes I only found out there is a potential issue with these engines after! but when I got it 3 years ago it had only done 65k and was a steal  :smiley:

I will look into both of those, interestingly, I did have a driver side CV boot go bad and didn't catch it until very late? But the noise going when the clutch is depressed eliminates that I guess

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 09:04:51 am »
Could be the dual mass flywheel if the rumbling goes after pressing the clutch pedal down.  They're wobbly things, even when new, but get progressively worse with mileage and/or driving style.  DMFs hate being laboured (which makes it an odd choice of flywheel for a diesel!) and over-revving, so there's a bit of a operating window to keep them in if they're to last.

Perhaps when turning right, the DMF is tipping over away from the engine slightly, if that makes sense.  I think it might have been an early humble mechanic video, but he showed where a severely worn DMF was actually contacting the gearbox bell housing, which cause a nasty thumping/rumble. 

Anyway, things might not be that bad on yours but worth getting it inspected to outrule/confirm it.

Offline Momosan

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 03:18:49 pm »
Pudding, that's making a bit of sense now, its my first diesel I have ever owned.

My driving style changes from forgetting I'm not in my mk2 anymore (was my daily for 20 years off and on) and pounding it through the rev range, to then realising I am in fact in a diesel and 3rd gearing it everywhere slowly. When I bought it they said it had a clutch change, maybe the DMF was not also changed?

Will price one up, done 35k miles since getting it so maybe its time to invest!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 04:26:54 pm »
No worries.  Its just suggestions so don't go spending a lot of money based on that  :grin:

I know what you mean!! I got my first diesel in September (MK6) and it still takes my brain a while to remember - gears, not revs  :grin:

It's a bit foolish not to replace the DMF at the same time, but they can add a fair bit to the cost, so some people do skip it I'm afraid.