Make a donation

Author Topic: New Stereo advice - Explain it like i'm 5.  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Golf_is_not_a_sport

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New Stereo advice - Explain it like i'm 5.
« on: January 12, 2022, 11:55:26 am »
Hi All,

It's the classic, "hey guys what stereo will work on a budget" thread..

Budgeting myself £100 - 200 for this, and all i need really, is double din and at the very least, Bluetooth streaming.

I've come across this:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/blaupunkt-palma-190bt-double-din-bluetooth-mechless-tuner-radio-mp3-usb-aux.html?tracking=603523b56dc69&gclid=CjwKCAiAlfqOBhAeEiwAYi43F81GHgF4CjhxOCYlM9Tn3MfJOdOL0K7D0iJ7EnYhM9oX67NSVSPEyxoCI2oQAvD_BwE

Looks pretty OEM, has bluetooth in a few capacities.. looks solid, brand is good.

Or, is something like this going to work?

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/kenwood-dmx125dab-car-stereo-280022.html

I'm aware I may need a new fascia/cage/wiring - So any advice here would be cool too

..I've looked into the RNS'XXX' threads on here, and really there's too much information to even guess what's current, affordable and any good.

Appreciate the help, and please if you have advice - Explain it to me like i'm 5. I am good with fitting, removing panels blah blah.. but don't really get what needs plugging in that deviates from the standard.

Thanks!!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: New Stereo advice - Explain it like i'm 5.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 03:18:20 pm »
Blaupunkt is a budget brand, so the Kenwood would sound better, marginally.  I know they were OEM radios in 80/90s Audis but that doesn't mean they're any good  :grin:

You don't want an RNS510.  They are slow, a pain to update, sound crap and are a theft target......so don't ever put a shark fin on your roof to advertise the fact.  You're way better off using a phone for nav and spend the rest on a better quality stereo.

If Pioneer drop as low as £200 for a double DIN, I'd go with that personally.  Kenwood are a bit meh.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 03:43:36 pm »
Brilliant insight, thank-you.

Eyes peeled for some Pioneer units on eBay, something like this looks good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373638891821?epid=17047062696&hash=item56fe9d092d:g:G-sAAOSwTAtg4rXZ

Would i just need the Mk5 specific loom to fit, and probably a fascia?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 04:04:36 pm »
I couldn't tell you on that one specifically mate, I haven't bought a car stereo for years!  I just remember Pioneer being good from the days when I had all the subs, amps etc etc.  Them and Alpine, Clarion etc.  Kenwood and Sony are good when you get into the mid > expensive range, otherwise a bit meh sound quality wise.

All car radios use what's called an "iso" connector now, so you don't need to worry about vehicle specific looms anymore.  Probably will need a MK5 fascia though.

Those RCD330s from Aliexpress/Wish are quite popular and look OEM.  Well, they are OEM as they were Chinese market specific  :happy2:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 09:43:19 pm »
I would be tempted with the Chineses OEM head units RCD330 - a bit more discrete

Pioneer are good - but personally I find all the buttons being on the far side too much to deal with
Blaupunkt were East German - they were a surprising choice for VW

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 07:37:37 am »
I would be tempted with the Chineses OEM head units RCD330 - a bit more discrete

Pioneer are good - but personally I find all the buttons being on the far side too much to deal with
Blaupunkt were East German - they were a surprising choice for VW

I find it hard to tell which is legit or good, or what with these.. is this the one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noname-CarPlay-Android-Auto-RCD330-RCD360-RCD340G-Car-Stereo-6RD-035-187B-For-VW-/143727992879?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Android Auto would be preferred, looks like you get that or Carplay?

And do these drain the battery?

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 03:23:23 pm »
Difficult to tell good and bad - a few folk on here have them installed, latest one I have seen is in this thread: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131984.15.html
but there are other members who have them - maybe PM them.
If you go ebay, you are paying premium over going direct.
The best/cheapest ones will be on Aliexpress... but they usually take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.
Just be aware duty is paid at check out within aliexpress - but you don't see full cost till check out.

If you do dip your toe in aliexpress  - Best to search with just the model code, then sort the results by number of orders, then look at reviews.

Battery drain seems to be a lottery for after market stereos, some swear they dont have it others seem to be plagued.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 07:09:53 am »
I have the RCD510 DAB (not the RNS) with a replaced/upgraded canbus module in mine. 

I did need to upgrade one of the rear window antennas to the DAB version and feed an additional aerial cable as I wanted it factory looking that was additional effort, but worth it in my opinion.

It also works with the steering wheel controls being OEM and a nice audio quality upgrade too.......mine came from a late Mk6 Golf
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 09:31:56 am »
Battery drain is a hangover from the very early LCD RNS510s. Later LED RNS510s and most other brands of stereo can either solve that with software, or just don't do it in the first place.

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 01:34:36 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up going for a very basic Pioneer unit, has a screen, does bluetooth, would support a camera if needed..

..Now, the previous owner had a Parrot in the car, and as such already made some 'modifications' to the wiring, Obviously the stuff thats connected with the red sleeves is for the parrot, so would I be able to close them off, or do they serve a purpose anywhere else?

..Power is another thing that looks to be re-routed, i think that's the red cable with the fuse - Would anyone know if i can bypass the connector and attach to the red wire from the headunit?

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 05:03:13 pm »
Haha, the previous owner put a Parrot in mine, the cabling was truly a mess. Thankfully someone else sorted it for me. Got an RNS315, everything in one box and works fine as I don't use the sat nav.

Pudding, what's wrong with a shark fin? I'm wanting one for a decent DAB antenna because the one that sticks on the window is complete sh*t. The fact is has GPS and AM/FM as well is a bonus but lots of cars have shark fins so wondering what it makes it a target for?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 11:43:08 am »
Theft.  When shark fins first started appearing, thieves knew that meant there was a high end media unit attached to it.  I remember quite a lot of break-ins (mostly BMWs) near where I lived at the time.  Probably not as prevalent at the moment due to covid.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 07:27:56 am »
I retro fitted the original DAB antenna into the back window......great reception

This is what I followed a few years ago.

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89829.0
Mike

South Coast

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 11:05:08 am »

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 02:29:01 pm »
No, the DAB version has a double connector not a single. one side completes the FM loop and the other is for DAB with a new cable to be fitted.
Mike

South Coast