Make a donation

Author Topic: Decisions Decisions  (Read 868 times)

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Decisions Decisions
« on: January 19, 2022, 04:49:16 pm »
Hi all, I'm trying to decide which way to go with the springs and shocks on my pirelli edition.
It's currently on Eibach sportline springs and standard shocks and the ride quality is awful in my opinion. Anyway, I can't decide whether to get the bilstein b8 shocks (mk6 gti variant, after reading on here and elsewhere that they are better than the mk5 variant) or to get the racing line kit, or to just get the racing line shock absorbers and pair them with my existing eibachs ?
Not interested in coil overs, just want a combination that absorbs the bumps and handles well.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Decisions Decisions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:42:35 am »
If you want to: retain some semblance of comfort, lower no more than 10mm, achieve even arch gaps and not spend a lot, you could try:-

HR 29261 springs with Bilstein B4 (oem damping profile, but gas charged)

Or if you want slightly more poise and stiffness:-

HR 29261 springs with Bilstein B6 (MK6 flavour, approx 15% softer than MK5)

I wouldn't go for B8 unless lowering 30mm or more.  The extra droop of the B6 (stock damper length) is useful for traction over big bumps, undulations and kerbs.

Racingline kit:  Feels great initially but the transition from soft to firm is too abrupt for my tastes.  It's also too soft when upping the pace on bumpy B roads, to the point of causing front arch fouling....with stock wheels and offset!  Pants.

The one thing the MK5 needs for composure and comfort over bumps is suspension travel.  Drop them 30mm or more and they just ride like crap imo, but it all depends on what your local roads are like.  Some of us are blessed with German grade tarmac, and some of us have to put up with Bulgarian farm tracks.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 01:08:10 pm »
Well I already have the 30mm lowered sportline eibachs, so would the b8's for the mk6 gti not pair up nicely with them ? I'd prefer to keep the springs I have if possible. It was just the price of the racingline kit that interested me, along with the comfy ride.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 01:58:03 pm »
You could but that wouldn't meet your objective.  If you don't like how it rides now, adding B8s isn't going to make it ride any better.  Yes the MK6 B6/B8 are softer than MK5, but they're still a lot stiffer than the oem dampers.

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 02:15:16 pm »
Right, that's what I really needed to know, I was under the impression that the damping would be much better controlled, therefore getting rid of the bouncy and crashy ride. Dunno what to do now then, as I like the ride height looks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 03:03:29 pm »
B6/B8 definitely give you better damping but being a 'sport' damper, they are still on the firm side.

It could just be your current dampers are shot.  New OEM or B4 would probably improve matters significantly.

The Racingline kit will drop the car to about the same, and to be fair would be better than Sportlines + knackered dampers.

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 03:35:00 pm »
So the b4's although an oem replacement, better than originals because they're gas rather than oil filled ? Can they cope with the 30mm lowering springs, or whatever the sportline springs lower the car by ? Can't seem to get a definitive answer on how liw sportline springs actually lower the car.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 04:01:37 pm »
Pretty much, yeah. 

All dampers use oil, but there are two types.  Oil only, or gas.  Gas dampers just means the empty space inside the damper body is filled with nitrogen to stop air bubbles forming as the damper pistons sloshes through the oil.

The originals were SACHS but I don't know if they were gas or not.

The B4s will (apparently) feel approx 10% stiffer than the originals because of the gas pressure, which is why they're suited to mild lowering springs.  I don't know how stiff the Sportlines are, but I think quite a few peeps have used B4s with that kind of spring without problems.

That's why I suggested non-GTI H&R springs with B4s because combined, it's a very mildly stiffer than stock setup, which is perfect for folks who need the stock ground clearance, but also want to stiffen the ride a tad.

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 04:10:10 pm »
Right, thanks for all your input, I'll have a serious ponder.