Make a donation

Author Topic: Odd idling issue at low speeds  (Read 539 times)

Offline 8lytton

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Odd idling issue at low speeds
« on: January 20, 2022, 02:32:33 pm »
Hi guys, recently noticed at low speed, say when manoeuvring  to park, the idle speed holds at about 2000rpm when clutch released to slot into reverse/first or as you stop just about to turn engine off ...oddly  it stays there at 2000 ish but when I blip the throttle it comes back down to 850 rpm as usual....? Odd as I say.

It only seems to happen at low speed when manoeuvring or stopping at lights. On normal driving and runs it is fine.

Had new DV valve and PCV and all the usual bits down within last year as a matter of course anyway.

Is there a idle speed control valve on mk5 GTi's orna throttle switch clicker that needs a squirt of WD40 ?

Or if anyone else has a cure please let me know.....

Also does anyone know the procedure to reset the ECU adaptations on the car (ie to reboot this as car ECU settings adjusts to your driving pattern I believe) - some cars also with Bosch it is hold gas pedal down and turn on ignition for 30 secs  then release - restart engine ...?

Cheers guys

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Odd idling issue at low speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 02:58:19 pm »
Is there a idle speed control valve on mk5 GTi's orna throttle switch clicker that needs a squirt of WD40 ?

You're definitely not a zoomer with that question  :grin:

VW fitted drive-by-wire to all petrol engines circa 2000! I.e. nothing to adjust and no user serviceable parts.

To reset the ECU's learned values and adaptations, simply disconnect the battery for 30 mins or so.  There is no funky pedal/switch combo that I'm aware of.  I don't think even VAG-COM can force reset them either.

Have you got a scan tool?  Might be worth getting one if not.  It's pretty much impossible to diagnose these cars without one.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D