Make a donation

Author Topic: Wits end with Engine light and underlying issue/s  (Read 3380 times)

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Wits end with Engine light and underlying issue/s
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2022, 02:49:00 pm »
Standard car. Just over 110000 miles. It is the engine light so it is constantly on now until it gets fixed or I clear the errors.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 02:55:36 pm »
My EML used to come on when I floored it after a remap. Lucky I had a spare coil pack to rab vcds, found the bad cylinder, replaced the coil pack and was fine. Ultimately I then changed all the coil packs a week later. It misfires badly tho. Just a thought.

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 03:39:25 pm »
It’s the unknown that’s is killing me. Quite a few things it could be. I know nothing about the car except what I read online. My initial thought was that the purge valve having some contaminant still in it. Not sure how/why coil packs fail. They were replaced due to the recall. That was at around 45000 miles.

Then you have the chance of it being a dodgy sensor.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 03:41:19 pm by crashdesk »

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 03:52:57 pm »
You think a twin turbo oil leak would cause the issue?

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • My Ride: mk5 gti
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 04:36:58 pm »
i dont know what you mean, you dont have a twin turbo you have a single turbo if its a golf gti, at 110000 miles my money is on injectors, there is a few checks you can do yourself to rule a few things out
1. pull oil dipstick when car is running if the car starts running badly your pcv is okay
2. check your dv valve for holes, jack up th car and take wheel off then there is 3 t30 bolts to undo, but use an axel stand for safety,
3. check your cam follower undo the 17mm fuel line nuts after you have released the pressure from the bleed valve, then disconnect regulator switch from the top and undo the 3 t30 bolts for the fuel pump remove and pull follower out with finger and check for wear,
if it was any of the above the car would feel very slow after 3000rpm
if it turns out to be a coil pack or a fuel pressure relief valve or a lpf sensor message me as i have spares of these you can have if needed

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 06:15:11 pm »
I was just checking my last MOT note and the guy said there was a twin turbo oil leak and I would just need a new washer. He must have just meant turbo.

I will go through and check those things tomorrow. Thanks again!

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 06:41:10 pm »
he probably said intercooler oil leak, which is normal, i have put new seals on and made no difference,

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 08:06:58 pm »
I was just checking my last MOT note and the guy said there was a twin turbo oil leak and I would just need a new washer. He must have just meant turbo.

"Twin turbo" is just nonsense - but if its a washer, it will be the crush washers on the oil feed banjo bolt , reasonably easy to get to once the heat shield is out of the way.
But that will just leak oil, unlikely to cause CEL.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 02:00:59 pm »
P0441 is to do with the carbon cannister system, can be the carbon cannister itself, the hoses for it split, the solenoid on the intale 'cannister purge' or something as daft as a fuel cap seal leaking. Mine had the fault about 4 years I just used to clear the codes when they put the light on which was once every 6 months or so. Funny thing is unless its got a really bad leak because of a hoses badly split it didn't effect the running of my car at all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 05:01:02 pm by GVK »

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 04:47:03 pm »
that would make sense due to having no effect on performance, i was thown off by the fuel pressure fault he claimed in the beginning

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 09:38:56 pm »
@GVK if that is the case I may have to invest in something to clear the code. Recommend anything apart from detaching the battery?

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 10:16:24 pm »
if its an evap code and you have already replaced charcoal chanister and purge valve, then it must be a leak in a pipe, or a fuel filer cap seal as mentioned, you could get a spray bottle and water the pipes connecting to the charcoal canister and try and find it, you could just buy a cheap £30 code reader and keep deleteing the code but that would anoy me, get to a vag independent because they charge half the price of vw and are usually much more capable

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2022, 12:09:52 pm »
Thanks everyone. Booked in for a scan with indi. Let's see what it comes back with. :-)

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2022, 04:33:41 pm »
Soooooooooooo. It's been a while. Mechanic has had a look, carried out smoke test, and everything seems to be pointing towards the Crank Breather. They are going to replace. If the engine light comes on again after that I am just going to run the car into the ground. Can't afford to keep putting money into it even though the monthly upkeep may be less than financing a new car.

During the wait to get the car looked at, the boot wouldn't close and rear wiper stopped working. All linked to the boot lock; needs replacing...again! lol

Never ending

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 04:51:02 pm by crashdesk »

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2022, 04:51:29 pm »
Soooooooooooo. It's been a while. Mechanic has had a look, carried out smoke test, and everything seems to be pointing towards the Crank Breather. They are going to replace. If the engine light comes on again after that I am just going to run the car into the ground. Can't afford to keep putting money into it even though the monthly upkeep may be less than financing a new car.

During the wait to get the car looked at, the boot wouldn't close and rear wiper stopped working. All linked to the boot lock; needs replacing...again! Last time it was locked and wouldn't open. lol

Never ending