Make a donation

Author Topic: My Golf GTI Edition 30  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Trobbler69

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
My Golf GTI Edition 30
« on: March 11, 2022, 10:22:31 am »

This is my 2007 Edition 30 midline.  Bringing it back up to standard at the moment and going to press it in to daily service.  Very impressed with it so far! Pretty standard but its likely been fettled in the past, and put back to stock for selling.  Apparently it has a CDL engine in it, done 15k miles ago.  The timing cover still has the original engine number on it (BYD) so i'm trying to find the engine number on the block.. not easy!  Can the engine number be found in a diagnostic, or will it just tell me what the ECU says?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4vehakp82d4v103lmr9tf3ua2j&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: My Golf GTI Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 12:35:48 pm »
That's cool if its a CDL!

Here it is on my BWA, engine cover off if you have the stock one and check on the head, below the rocker cover and close to the oil filler cap:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 01:16:44 pm »
The engine ECU will only tell you it's own part number and the vehicle VIN unfortunately.  Did they update DVLA with the new engine number?  Have a look on the V5 registration doc.  If they haven't, you might want to do that yourself to square everything up and avoid any legal/insurance entanglements down the line.

CDL is the toughest of all the EA113 engines, so that was a good choice of swap.  Previous owner probably blew the BYD as a lot of folk think it's the same as the CDL, but it isn't.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Trobbler69

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 10:52:41 am »
Thanks all for the advice, I took a look on the block, like was mentioned and boom, CDL! Its interesting as i've read that certain ECU mods are required when swapping from BYD to CDL, if they were needed it was certainly done, as it goes very well!

Only downside is that someone installed a PCV delete kit  :confused:so I need to source the latest PVC and hoses and re-install.  I hope it won't need any VCDS coding when I do that, as my list of VCDS needs are growing and I don't want to add to it! LOL