Make a donation

Author Topic: Japanese import 2.0 TSI Sportline Variant - The white one  (Read 2304 times)

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Japanese import 2.0 TSI Sportline Variant - The white one
« on: April 19, 2022, 06:00:17 pm »
Hi All

Thought I'd start a thread on my Japanese import 'GTi estate'. I bought it with a baby just arrived, realising the pram takes up all the boot space of my Mk4 GTi that was previously serving as a daily. Looking for a 'fastish' VAG estate in my price range made me realise I really didn't want to drive an A4 Avant (irrational I know) and I saw one of these on Auto Trader, never knowing they existed before. I missed out on that one but from that point I was on the hunt. Many sleepless nights comforting a baby led me to trawling Japanese auction sites and buying a red, low mileage model, through JDM Auction watch. That one was still on a boat when this one, with a better spec, popped up for sale in Somerset. A expensive train ride later and it was mine.  So now I have two, although at the time of writing the red one is still on a boat, somewhere around Jeddah last time I checked.

This one is Carmella white, a yellowish white more often seen on New Beetles, not Candy White as the advert said, but I guess I'll grow to love it. It has pretty much all the gadgets including a full length sun roof and heated leather seats, but missing the all important buttons on the steering wheel - something to do with Japanese models never having OEM stereos, but more sophisticated units from the factory. Just over 56k on the clock and incredibly well looked after.

Here it is as I picked it up

And looking dirty in my street after driving it 4 hours home

Protective plastic film still on the gearstick surround (I told you it was well kept)

But missing the bottle opener (maybe beer drinking and driving is frowned on in Japan  :smiley:)

I had what I though was a super original, never been done before, plan to retrofit it with GTi parts to create a true (fake) GTi estate, but after a bit of a google found this one https://www.ksgarage.co.uk/used/volkswagen-golf-2.0t-fsi-sportline-dsg-gti-spec-japanese-import-estate-in-banbury/1822 and after coming to this forum found a couple of other chaps  doing something similar, undoubtedly with better results than I will achieve. Anyway, I still plan to do it.

So far I've had the fuel tank replaced (was leaky when i bought it) and a 30mm drop on Eibach springs. Just waiting for a set of diamond cut Monzas to come back from the refurbers after they messed them up the first time

After 30mm drop

Gave the headlights a quick squizz with a Meguiars kit that looked good for all of a day, so will give them a proper machine polish at some point

Trial fitted a GTi grille, but I didn't realise the VW badge was a different size so waiting for the new one to turn up before this goes on. Gives me time to rig up a magnetic number plate. I have a GTi bumper to go on too but it needs painting.

Future plans include:

Fitting those Monzas
GTi bumper and maybe side skirts
Black out the chrome window trim
Fitting an RCD 330plus stereo
GTi MFSW steering wheel
Maybe a GTi DSG gear stick and/or surround
Stage 1 Remap and Ram Air intake

I have a set of MK6 GTi seats that I was planning to put in, just because the standard seats don't hold you that well. They were the best set I could find and still they're a bit damaged and dirty. Did VW manage to source some special super cheap material for these? So without getting them retrimmed they'll let down the interior. That's probably more money than I want to spend and even then I'll lose the electric drivers seat I currently have. So they might go in the red one, or be up for sale.

I'll keep this thread updated, especially after I get round to washing it.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Japanese import 2.0 TSI Sportline Variant - The white one
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 07:28:34 pm »
Looking good with the trial fit of the Gti grill! Be interesting to see it progress, and many congratulations on fatherhood btw...best thing ever ( fatherhood, not your golf!)

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 09:02:18 am »
Looking good with the trial fit of the Gti grill! Be interesting to see it progress, and many congratulations on fatherhood btw...best thing ever ( fatherhood, not your golf!)

Thanks mate, although I'm pretty pleased with the Golf too  :grin:

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 09:14:45 am »
So I fitted the grille properly once the badge turned up. Made up a magnetic number plate for added scene points and because I couldn't bring myself to drill the brand new genuine grille piece. Let's hope I used enough magnets. :scared:

The wheel refurbers did the Monzas again and the lacquer is still full of dust, so I decided just to put them on and get on with my life. Might see if I can improve them a bit with a polishing mop at some point.

Pretty pleased with how it looks now. Not sure how far I'll go down this rabbit hole. I have a GTi bumper which I should get painted and fitted and I'd like to fit a GTi MFSW steering wheel.

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 05:04:33 pm »
Very nice! Side skirts will do a diference on the lateral view right?  :wink:

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 09:30:00 am »
Yeah. I think side skirts when/if I change the front bumper to a GTI one. I'm not sure how much work they are to fit though? If the fixings are already there or of I need to drill something.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 09:47:49 am »
Fansatstic. I’d go for full OEM look, so black side skirts for me please.

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 11:17:50 am »
Fansatstic. I’d go for full OEM look, so black side skirts for me please.

Absolutely. Also saves money on paint :)

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 11:13:43 pm »
Well done sir!

I have An identical one of these, same off white colour etc.
I am also going down the route of GTi spec etc, would be great to get them side by side at some point.

How do you find the ride with the 30mm drop?
I had a Jetta with a similar drop and the big overhang on the rear end made it bounce around all over the place - was horrible on standard springs. If yours rides well I’d be tempted to do the same.

What will you be doing with the red one when it arrives??

Look forward to seeing your updates

Edit: oh and I’ve been told a Jetta exhaust fits the estate

Ollie
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 11:15:47 pm by OllieL »

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 09:46:48 am »
Hi Ollie

I haven't done loads of miles in it yet, but I think the ride is comparable to stock. The springs are meant for the variant/estate so I guess the rear ones have a heavier spring rate to carry the extra weight. If I did it again I might go for a 45mm drop as there's still a little more arch gap than I's like at the front.

I think the red one will go up for sale as soon as I've got it registered. I don't really need two of them :)

Got any photos/thread of yours

Offline TimW

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 08:27:12 am »
This looks proper cool, I have a penchant for estate Golfs!